Author Topic: Greenhouse traffic jam!  (Read 2680 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Greenhouse traffic jam!
« on: May 13, 2005, 17:58:22 »
Ordinarily by this time of year id be busy hardening things off and moving things out of the 'house.

However with the cold/changeable weather this spring things have been held up. Sown seeds which should have germinated grown big enough to go out weeks ago are still in there, taking up space. I have a coldframe and 'mini' greenhouse as well for hardening off, but these are full of things i darent move outside yet. I either need more protected space or an end to the cold nights to allow me to get things moving.

i have tomatoes ready to plant out in the gh border, but the border itself is covered with other plants in pots waiting to go out.

Is anyone else feeling as frustrated as i do?

I wouldnt give up growing for the world but this no joke!

chrispea27

• Acre
Re: Greenhouse traffic jam!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 19:10:08 »
yes  I have the sam eprob. still got window sills with things on as well -she who must be obeyed not best pleased :o
Chris Pea

lilylover

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 20:53:37 »
Me too GC  :(  Greenhouse, two plastic minis and most of the hard paving full up. Had no choice but to stick some trays out with a plastic cover and they were doing ok until we had a sneak frost the other night.............. the only night I forgot to stick their covers on  >:(
Is it wrong to fancy Lucius Malfoy?

slugcatcher

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2005, 08:22:47 »
and there is more frost on its way this week beware!!!!!!
ron
Dont screw up the best things in life cos you dont know who you are, or where you are going !!

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2005, 10:59:25 »
My little routine at night of lifting fetching and carrying all pots, plants, hanging baskets and this very heavy three tiered fountain basket thingy, is to seen to be believed.

Cant wait till they are all outside for good, and to have nice clear windowsills and a lovely neat clean and tidy conservatory :)

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 12:04:49 »
My little mini-greenhouse has been a traffic jam from day one!  :)
I am lucky to have some wooden staging-type shelves against the south-facing wall of the house to use, and these are now choc-a-bloc too, and things are spilling over on to the path!
When a frost has been forecast, I cover the whole shelf with a sheet of fleece.
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 12:16:05 »
My windowsills are overflowing again. I've got a few things hardening off. Nine tomatoes are in a shallow box outside during the day, in the shed over night. Today I've put out another box of courgettes and squashes, also to go in the shed overnight.

I've also got two other courgettes in big pots under fleece and some french beans and peas under fleece. I don't have much time in the morning for carrying things out for the day, so have to keep that to a minimum. everything under fleece seems to be doing ok.
gone to pot :D

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 13:45:42 »
i have 24 basil plants - yes, you heard me right. they are on the window sill and are growing too fast for my liking. so i will put them all into a plastic crate and start putting them out for the day onto the balcony, and bring them in at night

my tomatoes and pappers have been living outside for the last three (or is it four) weeks without any protection - but then i am in central london.
nonetheless, we had a ground frost during the week - but my balcony is 1 storey up so other than the occasional scorched leaf on the toms, nothing happened.

wouldnt call it a traffic jam but will be glad to see the back of the plants so we can actually use the balcony for sitting out and stuff :)

svea
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 17:18:56 »
My 'jam' has been eased slightly now. I 'bit the bullet' and put out the plants that were tha most hardened off, with fleece on standby just in case. This has allowed me to move things around a bit - from GH to mini greenhouse and GH/Mini GH to cold frame.  This at least has given me a bit more space in the greenhouse proper.

I have even been able to plant out my tomatoes in the greenhouse border! Although i stil have pots of things in between them at the moment.

greenfists

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2005, 20:18:59 »
This is my first post, so hello.
Its nice to see that we're not the only ones doing the greenhouse Hokey cokey.
You know, you take the whole thing out you put the whole thing in. In out, in out etc etc every day.
I found this site by accident. It seems great.
If you haven't got green fingers then use your fists.

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2005, 20:23:30 »
Welcome greenfist, you will love it here......Now put your left leg in  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal