Author Topic: I've got nesting birdies!  (Read 4052 times)

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
I've got nesting birdies!
« on: May 28, 2005, 12:45:14 »
Weeding my way through the front shrub bed about half an hour ago, I realised I was being cheeped at. I stuck my head in the mock orange and spotted a nest. Hastily withdrew...
Took a deck chair, a cup of tea and some patient watching to find out exactly what it was that had built the nest, and it turned out to be a family of chaffinches!

It certainly explains why we have a very noisy male chaffinch on the tv aerial half the time!

;D ;D

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

maz

• Acre
Re: I've got nesting birdies!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 13:32:27 »
Awww............ piccies please moonbells.  ;D
A friend is someone who thinks you are a good egg,
even though you are slightly cracked.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2005, 13:39:07 »
Awww............ piccies please moonbells.  ;D

Blimey - give us a break! I only managed to get this 15 mins ago...

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

bunnycat

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2005, 14:01:16 »
Oh, how beautiful ;D

I haven't got anything big enough for any birds to nest in, but I'm getting a few visitors to the garden at the moment :)

maz

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2005, 15:21:02 »
15 mins?   *tsk*  .... . too slow!  ;) ;D

Great piccie!  ;D

I know what you mean about the noise. Our Great Tits never shut up.  ::)

A friend is someone who thinks you are a good egg,
even though you are slightly cracked.

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2005, 18:29:08 »
wonderful pic moonbells, how lucky you are  :)

Yellow Petals

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2005, 18:54:21 »
wonderful pic moonbells, how lucky you are  :)

I agree, great pic, but at the risk of being called a sour-puss, it seems that dad knows you are watching through the bushes, praps best to wait until mum and dad have gone off for food before snapping again?

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2005, 22:20:25 »
Ah! that's great Moonbells ;D aren't we lucky to have birds nesting so close to home?
Is the nest low enough for you to snap a shot inside while Mum & Dad are away? ;D

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2005, 23:47:30 »
Ah! that's great Moonbells ;D aren't we lucky to have birds nesting so close to home?
Is the nest low enough for you to snap a shot inside while Mum & Dad are away? ;D

no, thank goodness - too many cats around here for comfort otherwise.  The mock orange has very flexible branches so can't bear their weight, so birdies are safe.

honeybee: the pic is of Mum on the nest having just arrived with food - babies are still inside so if she flew off I'd just snap a ball of twigs  ;D  As it was I had the camera on full telephoto using the battery remote for shooting, so I wasn't too close! I started firing when I heard the cheeping!

I do have a blurry pic of a silhouetted head of one baby and it looked almost fully grown. I think there's two of them.  I just hope they get lots of wing-strengthening practice and when they decide to leave, they go between 7am and 3pm cos our cat is usually sleeping for England between those times...

moonbells

Mothy

• Hectare
  • My 4th season on my Lottie in Leicestershire.
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2005, 00:00:12 »
Lovely piccy Moonbells, well done. It's great to have feathered friends nesting in the garden. We have a brood of blackbirds in the mass of clematis sprawling over the fence.

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2005, 18:18:19 »
lovely pic u are so lucky what a wonderfull thing

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2005, 19:26:55 »
I was sitting on the allotment with my wife this afternoon when we were interrupted by two rather agitated great tits with insects in their bills. One eventually dived into the pipe where they nest, but two people at once was too much for the other and we had to move.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2005, 13:33:10 »
We have an old farmhouse with a water cistern underground that collects rain water and has one of those old hand pumps.  We've been going to restore it for ages but never got round to it and probably won't now.  I've just found a nest in it containing eight hungry mouths and making a great deal of noise - which explains the pair of great tits I've been seeing with their beaks full of caterpillars and grubs.  I've wedged a fat and seed ball into the handle for mum and dad to snack between raids.
Obxx - Vendée France

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal