Author Topic: Yellow potatoleaves  (Read 1700 times)

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Yellow potatoleaves
« on: May 11, 2005, 19:28:29 »
Does anyone know what is going on,on ouwer alotments?All the potatoleaves are yellow,from my neighbour from everyone.We all put enough manure on the alotments,so feeding should not be the problem.Mayby the cold windy wetter,i dont know?Who can help us with this problem.

Lizard Man

• Quarter Acre
Re: Yellow potatoleaves
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2005, 09:11:11 »
Yellow leaves normally means lack of nutrients. What about the dreaded potato blight? I've never experienced it, but guess that if one plot has it, then all plots will succumb.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2005, 10:02:16 »
Blight doesn't cause yellowing, the leaves just rot. It starts in a small patch, and spreads. I've had it, it's dreadful. But this isn't it.

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2005, 11:17:33 »
It doesn't sound like blight, that starts with brown blotches on the leaves - see http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0701/potato_blight.asp

Yellowing, as has been suggested could be lack of nutrients, but it's a bit early for that. To check on this, a spray of foliar feed will green them up if nutrients are in short supply, try a seaweed based one for fastest result - it will do them good even if lack of nutrients is not the problem.

Another common coause of yellowing of leaves is over watering.

Phil

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2005, 12:46:24 »
Couldn't it just be that they caught a light frost - not enough to cause blackening but enough to cause the leaves to go yellow.  This has happened to the uppermost leaves under my fleece - the rest of the plants are OK.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2005, 14:19:03 »
Redbanger you probly got it right,the leaves are now green like grass

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal