Author Topic: Toms 'Sub Arctic Plenty'  (Read 1849 times)

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
Toms 'Sub Arctic Plenty'
« on: May 11, 2005, 09:22:48 »
Anyone ever grown these before?

My first attempt at tomatoes. Sowed 3 in March and when they were about 1 1/2 inches high, I put them into my mini greenhouse. 2 were decapitated by slugs  >:( so I brought the remaining one back indoors.

This one remaining tomato plant is doing very well, is in a 5 inch pot and is now 9 inches high and not leggy in the slightest.

My question is can it live outside now?

Growing instructions on packet say to plant them in their final position when 8 inches high and to acclimatise to outdoor conditions for a few days first. Doesn't say anything about protecting from frosts.

I'm in Scotland, Central Lowlands, usually get frost until the end of May but is this variety of Tom more resistant to frosts? And is there a risk of it being munched by slugs? Or don't they like hairy stems?

HELP!

Black Forest Dan

• Quarter Acre
  • who put snow on my breakfast?
Re: Toms 'Sub Arctic Plenty'
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 10:49:42 »
Hi Ladybird,

I've just ordered some 'Sub Arctic Plenty' seeds from Ready to grow, follow this link to get some information:

http://www.readytogrow.co.uk/seeds/p_Sub_Arctic_Plenty.html

or if you want to find other exotic tomatoes, just click on:

http://www.readytogrow.co.uk/seeds/c_tomatoes.html

there's some information on 'tomato cultivation tips' under:

http://www.readytogrow.co.uk/seeds/cult_tomato.html

I only discovered that website a week ago - through A4All - I fear it is very late to be ordering and planting tomato seeds this year, but I still want to try it - won't be able to plant them until late May so I hope they will be forgiving and that our summer will be long enough - we are still getting some frost here in southern Germany.

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 11:11:49 »
Hi Dan,

Information on packet says that this Tomato plant has the 'ability to set fruit under cooler conditions'. I presume that this also means they ripen more readily too. The packet also says 'Harvest from July until first frosts' and 'no support or sideshooting required'.

Thanks for the links, will go and check them out now.

Twospot.

Rox

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 11:54:10 »
Hi Twospot,

I'm growing 15 Sub Artic plenty myself this year for the first time - it's an old heritage variety created in the Canadian prairies - while I don't think it's frost tolerant, it's strong point is that it's meant to be an early, fast-cropper in shorter, colder summers as you would have in those type of Northern climates.
So I would still keep an eye out on the frosts before planting out.

Good luck with them!  :D

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 12:10:11 »
Thanks Rox,

Will start acclimatising so it's ready to plant out in June.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 22:44:03 »
it's an old heritage variety created in the Canadian prairies

That's sold them - I will be planting these next year - what do they taste like and what can they be used for?
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Rox

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 10:34:13 »
Hi Redclanger,

I can't comment on the taste, 'cause this is the first year trying them, but I'll let you know later in the season how they are!  :) As for uses, I think they're primarily a salad type - at least that's what I'll be using them for!  :P In terms of size they're supposed to be larger than a cherry but smaller than a reg tomato. hope this helps!

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 11:13:20 »
Sub Arctic Plenty will indeed crop well even under poor conditions,the flavour?-I have to say  is modest,but still better than those one buys-so well worth it if other types might struggle.

Stephan

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal