Author Topic: Bedfordshire  (Read 11524 times)

chriszog

• Half Acre
Bedfordshire
« on: May 10, 2005, 13:16:08 »
Anyone else out there from The Growers County.
Perfect soil for onions and brussels\?
Chriszog

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
Re: Bedfordshire
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 20:08:28 »
Yup, I'm in Luton

Aussie Chick

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 21:43:52 »
i'm in Milton keynes, I don't think we've got that lovely soil, all I've dug up is clay!

loz

• Half Acre
  • See my stuff on www.arthursplacecattery.co.uk
    • Arthur's Place Cattery
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 07:31:18 »
Hi all. I used to live in Chalton, just outside Luton, and before that I had an allotment at Lewsey Farm (manny many years ago, now covered in houses :()

How is good old Luton these days?  My mum still lives in Leagrave

Loz

Horses, ragdolls, bracco italiano, Polands,Silkies, and a garden - when do I have time to eat? - www.arthursplacecattery.co.uk

gayle

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 19:27:33 »
me me, im in ampthill, got a plot at evertts field, ;D
soil is very good sand clay mix.

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2005, 15:51:45 »
I am in Bedford - Goldington Field. Not sure what the soil is like on the lottie - not found it yet under the weeds, but my garden is lovely!

TEL

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 16:33:14 »
Next door in wing bucks the soil is light for digging but drains fast. Like a desert to days ago.

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2005, 14:19:17 »
Ah, I remember Luton, as I'm swallowing my crouton.

Grew up in south Luton but moved to Cambridge now. OH's family still there though.
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

Mr Plot

• Not So New ...
  • Sexy Carrot
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2005, 13:02:12 »
Hi,
We have a plot in Bedford and although the weeds are terrible the produce has been brilliant this year, so I guess the soil must be rich.
If there are any other growers on the Goldington plots get in touch.
Jeremy
« Last Edit: August 14, 2005, 19:49:39 by jfrosty »

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2005, 15:03:14 »
I am in Bedford - Goldington Field. Not sure what the soil is like on the lottie - not found it yet under the weeds, but my garden is lovely!

Jeremy - see my post above - seems we are neighbours!

70fingers

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2005, 21:55:40 »
Hi,

We live in Bedford, but our allotment is in Carlton. We have just met up with some other liked minded allotment holders in Bedford the other day over a few bottles of home made wine and food. We are planning to set up a Permaculture group in the local area - if anybody is interested please do get in contact.

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2005, 19:14:15 »
Any of the Bedfordshire folk found good nurseries/ garden centres they can recommend?

I am kind of stuck in the comfort zone of going to Frosts at Willington but there vegetable selection is not too great. Rarely do they seem to have vegetable plants (that are not tomatoes!)

Just read somewhere else that someone saw purple sprouting broccolli in their garden centre today, never seen something like that down there for example??  ???

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2005, 23:03:37 »
Ages since I lived in Wooton and Marston Moretaine.  I always thought heavy clay was the standard up there?!   Still, made for good fishing locations... ;D
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2005, 08:55:17 »
some parts seem to be like that. We are lucky where we are our soil is lovely, both in our garden and the allotment! But a few streets across town and it is a different story.

gayle

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2005, 09:32:06 »
Some areas of bedford are pure clay and others not to bad.
My lottie in ampthill has a sand clay mix which is great, as my garden up the road is very sandy and does not hold any moisture or nutrients. :-\

AikenDrum

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2005, 13:54:20 »
Just signed up for a plot yesterday at Goldington Fields, even got a shed ! Am a complete beginner so will be visiting here often.   {:¬)#
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is the fact that it has never tried to contact us.

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2005, 14:35:05 »
were you the people wandering round with the plan in your hand on Sunday then?

Didn't realise any of the empty ones had sheds, didn't spot that when I got mine a few months ago. We were building ours on Sunday.

AikenDrum

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2005, 14:13:34 »
daisymay, yup, I was the lost soul wandering around with the map, turned out the site I was offered was taken up an hour b4 I got to register it  :(  so , got another one with nothing on it, completely fallow for some time it seems. Waiting to get it rotivated then will get down to some hard(ish) grafting   {:¬)#
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is the fact that it has never tried to contact us.

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2005, 14:59:19 »
Oh well, never mind! least you still got one.

See you down there some time soon no doubt. The council took a couple of weeks to rotivate ours, we tried to clear the worst of the weeds before they came, but they beat us to it.

AikenDrum

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2005, 15:07:57 »
I've got plot 73, nothing but grass on the main plot itself. No doubt will see you among the green stuff some time    {:¬)#

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal