Author Topic: Yesssssssss............  (Read 7070 times)

maz

• Acre
Re: Yesssssssss............
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2005, 17:28:08 »
Just brought this back up to ask advice.

If one of the fledgling falls out , which I believe is very possible,  what do I do? Will the parent come back for it? Should I leave it where it is? The box is too high for me to be able to put it back. 

Im a bit worried about the cats.  :-\
A friend is someone who thinks you are a good egg,
even though you are slightly cracked.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2005, 22:53:19 »
The fledglings wont fall out of the box, its a bit deep for them to do that really.  If one does fall before it is ready to fly try and put it back in again. 

I had blue tits last year and they all left the nest box the same morning.  All 8 of them.  They were so sweet and clung to my conservatory window sills most of the morning.

I was also so pleased they all survived because the female blue tit fed them herself for the last 10 days because the male was killed by a Sparrowhawk.  She was back and forward to the nest box about every 2 minutes, absolutely marvellous.  I tried to help her by buying in mealworms.  She did get quite a few of them but the Starlings seem to come off best.

Good luck and enjoy.....

bunnycat

• Half Acre
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2005, 20:14:01 »
Petal, did you make the birdbox yourself, or buy it from somewhere?
I was just wondering if it might have been given a coat of preservative that was toxic to birds, or something.
It does seem odd that your little blue tits met such a sad end on a regular basis :(

Yellow Petals

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2005, 11:33:30 »
Petal, did you make the birdbox yourself, or buy it from somewhere?
I was just wondering if it might have been given a coat of preservative that was toxic to birds, or something.
It does seem odd that your little blue tits met such a sad end on a regular basis :(

Hi Bunnycat,

We got the box from my parents and they'd had it for a while themselves, but more importantly, they also had blue tits nesting in there more than once who all turned out just fine.

I can only imagine that a neighbour nearby (or further afield) could have been using some kind of insect spray on their plants where my blue tits were getting their food.

I don't understand why they kept dying right before it was time to leave the box though? :(
« Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 21:59:37 by Yellow Petals »

bunnycat

• Half Acre
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2005, 19:45:32 »
No problem with the box, then...........
It's certainly a mystery as to why they survived right up until it was time to leave ???
Perhaps something was being sprayed at a certain time of the year, every year, and it just happened to coincide with the babies fledging. What awful luck :(

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2005, 20:25:12 »
I've had great tits nesting in a piece of old cast airon pipe leaning against my shed wall every year for three years. I've never seen any fledgelings, but I've never looked at the nests either. It can't be the same pair as they don't live that long.

maz

• Acre
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2005, 07:49:51 »
The racket they make!  :o  Awww its really lovely to know they are there and doing well.

Just show you Robert  they dont need any special treatment, if they want to nest near you they just will. 

maz

• Acre
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2005, 10:25:36 »
As of yesterday its all gone very quiet. No mum and dad flying around and no noise from the box.  :'(

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2005, 10:34:41 »
Awwww have they gone Maz?

No doubt they will be return next year hopefully  :)

maz

• Acre
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2005, 08:14:36 »
I think they are dead             

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2005, 11:09:00 »
Oh noooo, i thought that you meant they had flown the nest. :'(

Can you check the box Maz?

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2005, 12:39:13 »
I have two nests of blackbirds in the conifers. Yesterday Elsa (cavalier) was snuffling and snorting at the base of a tree the other side of the garden. When I looked there was a  very young blackbird on the ground. Elsa stuck her nose to it, the baby opened its beak and squeaked loudly at her.. she backed off ;D I knew if I picked it up she would grab it. Went next door for daughter, she held Elsa and I put the baby in a safer place. Blow me at 5.20am today Elsa wanted to go to the garden another baby was sitting on the path, wish I had longer arms, had a job to pick up bird and hold Elsa back. Anyhow managed and bird was safe. When I picked the baby up yesterday the Mother was almost dive bombing me and shrieking loudly... I am hoping both will be able to get their wings properly. Lorna

maz

• Acre
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2005, 15:06:15 »
So mum is still there Lorna, thats good.

I havent seen Charles or Camilla ( mum and dad ) for 2 days now and no noise from the box either. :'(  I cant believe that both went missing at the same time.

Its too high for me to peek in HB.   :(

Yellow Petals

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2005, 16:39:22 »
Maz,  you may find that they just all disappeared very early one morning.  A lot of them tend to do that.  My mums (Rosebud) were all merrily chirping away one day and not a single peep the very next morning.  They'd all made a mad dash for it as the light appeared.  Don't despair, they are probably living the high life in a local forest  ;D

IWhen I picked the baby up yesterday the Mother was almost dive bombing me and shrieking loudly... I am hoping both will be able to get their wings properly. Lorna

Lorna, who is Elsa? LOL  I couldn't work it if Elsa is your daughter or a pet!!  Either way, they really shouldn't be near the baby birds or there's a big risk of mum desserting them which would be fatal.  Parents leave baby birds on the ground for quite some considerable amount of time before returning sometimes - it's no wonder she was trying to dive bomb you if you were touching her baby right infront of her!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 17:46:22 by Yellow Petals »

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2005, 18:51:39 »
Hi Yellow Petals. Elsa is my King Charles Cavalier. I had to pick the baby up otherwise Elsa might have hurt it, everything seems ok out there now. Lorna.

maz

• Acre
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2005, 20:08:41 »
Oh Petals you have given me hope.   :-*

Im sending hubby up the ladder at the weekend to take a peek.

Fingers, toes and eyes crossed everyone!!  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal