Author Topic: recycling wood?  (Read 2499 times)

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
recycling wood?
« on: May 07, 2005, 20:58:38 »
Hi all,

Anyone thinking of a bit of post-election recycling might want to know that the green party posts seem to be the longest but may have nails under the ground.
The Lib-Dem posts are much better quality wood and have re-usable screws.
I dunno about the others.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

Marianne

• Hectare
Re: recycling wood?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 21:18:41 »
Talking about recycling, every time we go walking along the river, there are several railway sleepers just strewn along the path.  I keep wondering who put them there and what I could do with them if I could get them home !? ??? ::) ???

Seems such a waste of money and good wood.
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Columbus

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 21:54:26 »
Hi Marianne,

If you are sure that something has just been dumped by fly-tippers then you are doing the community a favour by tidying up. Have they been there a while? or is there an on-going enviromental project in the area.

Its amazing what you can move by tying it to a bike.

Col

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 08:14:17 »
It am pretty sure they were chucked there by the guy who lives in the nearby mansion.  They are much too long to tie to a bike, otherwise I would have already done it.  They are about 3 metres long, shaped like railway sleepers but much larger !  You would need at least 3 men/woman to carry those away!
 :-\

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005, 11:34:38 »
Marianne you could set up in business, i saw some railway sleepers on sale at a garden centre and they were charging £25 each for them  :o

Columbus

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2005, 15:16:19 »
Hi Marianne  :)

These sound like very desirable peices of timber.
I wonder if they could be floated to somewhere more accessible? Maybe you know someone with a boat?
A bunch of friends or relatives might help provide some muscle or maybe a trolley or two. It seems a shame that they`ll be allowed to rot just because no one can find a way to transport them. Someone could use a chainsaw but that would be a last resort, I`d say.

A true story....Once upon a time, many years ago in the days of the Spanish wars, one terrible and stormy night a ship of the royal navy was wrecked on its maiden voyage with the loss of all its crew and cargo. The stricken vessel was washed up on the shore maybe of the Channel Islands or Cornwall or some remote wild place. A week later, when the Kings men arrived, mounted on horseback wearing their grand navy uniforms only a few sticks were to be seen lying on the beach. Riding up to an elderly women there they asked if she had seen or heard anything. The honest widow told them that she herself had removed some wood to her home at the top of the cliffs. Looking up the steep sandy cliffs thick with gorse the Kings men could see a tumble-down paupers shack and with pity in their voices they told the woman she could take whatever she liked...

It never occured to them that before they had arrived on the scene the bent-over old woman had removed the huge beams of the pride of the English Navy from the beach, hauled them up the cliffs and made herself a terraced garden. She was now just collecting a few pea sticks.

;D

Col
« Last Edit: May 08, 2005, 15:21:34 by Columbus »

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2005, 19:40:05 »
Lovely story Columbus !  My garden is very tiny indeed and quite frankly, even if I could get the wood to it, which is about 1/4 mile away, I would not know what to do with it.  But I admit it does seem a shame to see it rotting away.  Some of them look like ceiling beams, and very nice !

Yes I know I could also open a business and sell them but there are not enough for that purpose.
But thanks for your kind words of assistance.
 ;) :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal