Author Topic: Buttnernut Squash  (Read 3304 times)

Lazybones

• Half Acre
Buttnernut Squash
« on: May 09, 2005, 09:42:24 »
After roasting a delicious butternut squash last night I saved the seeds.  Question is, can I plant them now or is there any reason why I shouldn't?

Also, can I grow them on my grassy area that I haven't managed to dig over as otherwise they would spread across very valuable space (and I don't have the talent to make frames for vertical growth  :)

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
Re: Buttnernut Squash
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 12:10:09 »
LB,

I presume you saved them before you roasted them  ;D

You can sow right now in pots/modules indoors they will be ready for planting out at the end of the month.

They may not  be exactly what you ate as they could well have been F1s (there are loads of "butternuts" around these days or even if they weren't they could have cross polinated - but as they're free!!!!

Phil

Aidy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 14:28:29 »
Just a small word of warning, I grew them last year, I did not realize that once they get cracking they grow rampant and will take over the plot, I was told after grow them up a cage, however they were well liked at home.
Regards

Lazybones

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 15:03:44 »
Hmm, you have me slightly worried now ??? I was going to put them inbetween 2 fruit hedges so the area (covered in grass) is about 20 ft x 10ft.  I assume I can just chop them if they come anywhere near the active part of the lottie???  Can I just dig a couple of holes in the middle and throw them in?

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 15:15:49 »
joy larkcom described how they can be trained in a circle, hence saving space. it's what i intend to do with mine as my plot is small and i can't have it overrun with pumpkins!
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Diana

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 17:46:00 »
Svea - does she just twirl them round or are there specific instructions?

D
Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 19:46:38 »
lemme check

~consults vegetable bible~

"train in neat circle. guide or pin down main shoot as it grows with sticks on either side of stem, or tent pegs or wire pins holding it down. move them on daily if necessary. plants usually produce useful secondary roots on stem. mark the centre point with a long cane for watering."

she reckons this reduces the amount of space per plant to about a 1m circle, or thereabouts. which is all the space i have for mine
:)
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Diana

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 19:52:52 »
Thanks Svea

Think I'll have a go at this with some of mine, + let others ramble. Have rather a large variety of squash this year + generally at least 2 of each variety to trey with!!!

weedin project

• Acre
  • twig > leaf > flower > fruit > juice > WINE!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2005, 20:50:45 »
We too had a butternut to eat three weekends ago, and put a load of seeds into pots.  We had 9 healthy seedlings when I looked this evening.  Have no alternative except to give most of them away.

Anyway, try this....

I grow my butternut in amongst my sweetcorn.  Plant them up in your sweetcorn block - before you put the sweetcorn in - at even spaces about 6 feet apart if you can (we start our sweetcorn in pots and will be putting them in within the next couple of weeks as they are getting too tall for the cold frame).  We also pop 2 borlotti bean seeds in at the base of each sweetcorn plant.  This is because such an arrangement is supposed to be fertility-neutral to the soil - each crop gives what the others need, and take what the others provide, and was apparently an old native Mexican system that retained fertility in otherwise poor soil.  We have certainly had healthy crops from all 3 when we did it in the past.

Another tip is that to keep the crop manageable, the baby butternuts at about 2 inches long are really tasty cooked whole (skin-on) like a new potato!
"Given that these are probably the most powerful secateurs in the world, and could snip your growing tip clean off, tell me, plant, do you feel lucky?"

Diana

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2005, 21:23:38 »

I grow my butternut in amongst my sweetcorn.  Plant them up in your sweetcorn block - before you put the sweetcorn in - at even spaces about 6 feet apart if you can (we start our sweetcorn in pots and will be putting them in within the next couple of weeks as they are getting too tall for the cold frame).  We also pop 2 borlotti bean seeds in at the base of each sweetcorn plant. 

This was my plan - until the mice ate all but 4 of my sweetcorn >:(

Another tip is that to keep the crop manageable, the baby butternuts at about 2 inches long are really tasty cooked whole (skin-on) like a new potato!

This sounds good - got that many on the go, if they all survive will definately give this a go.

Thanks WP

D

Lazybones

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2005, 09:16:27 »
Great - thanks for all the advice. 

So would it be ok if I dig a hole in a grassed area and left the rest of the grass around it or do they let off runners that have to have bare soil?

Good idea about the sweetcorn.  I have about 10 plants to go in so will certainly think about putting them in there too.  Space saving  :)

Diana

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2005, 09:34:53 »
I wouldn't have thought the grass would be a problem for the growing (as long as you dig a nice big hole, break it up a bit + pile in a load of manure/compost), but you might have problems with slugs/snails.

If you protect the plants when they are young they should be able to take care of themselves when they've grown to be big + hairy ;)

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2005, 11:10:15 »
I have a plot which is mostly weedy grass so I thought I'd let the pumpkins loose over that.  I would of course make a plant hole first with my trusty bulb planter.  The areas where I have black sheet mulch and carpet, cardboard etc would be a good spot for them too.  If I had to dig all my plot before planting anything I would still by here by dombsday  ;D   
I came, I saw, I composted

Diana

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2005, 11:24:16 »
Sorry, keep meaning to say, mine will be going onto a grassy area, with a big whole each and as the grow stick cardboard under them - that way the plant will hold the card down + bu the time they're harvested half the clearing will be done.

Also, the grass will grow before the plants can cover it, so this way might give the plants a better chance.

Lazybones

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2005, 12:22:05 »
Ahhh, handn't thought about that.  Amazing how stupid I can be sometimes.  Killing two birds with one stone - I like that idea.  Thanks a lot Diana  ;D

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2005, 12:57:20 »
I grow my butternut in amongst my sweetcorn.  ...... was apparently an old native Mexican system that retained fertility in otherwise poor soil. 

The idea came from the native American indians see http://www.chaddsfordhistory.org/history/3sisters.htm they also grew pole beans up the corn.

The plants do not provide nutrients but take them out of the ground (especially the sqaushes which are gross feeders).

The Indians used to dig a fresh patch each year (being nomads this was not a problem but difficult on an allotment unless you are good at rotations!!)

Phil

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2005, 13:14:42 »
Phil    I have a massive amount of manure so I assume that any nutrients taken up by my squashes (presuming I get any  :)) can be replaced by its application.  Do you  think that is the case or would I do better to use green manures over winter and dug in the following spring?

Wardy
I came, I saw, I composted

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2005, 15:25:29 »
Wardy,

Assuming the squashes grow well, they will deplete or possibly remove all the nutrients in the manure, but, of course, the basic humus will remain and build ujp the structure of the soil.

We should then assume that (apart from the better structure) the soil is as it was before you started this season, so for the next crop add the manure that it normally needs, eg onions and potatoes want lots, carrots and parsnips none.

Does that answers the question?

Phil

Clayhithe

• Acre
  • Easy does it
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2005, 18:48:04 »
I'm a bit worried.
This is my first year growing squashes,  and the packet said 'at 2 foot intervals'.

But you knowledgable ones are talking about 'rampant growth' and 'taking over'

???
Good gardening!

John

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2005, 19:05:32 »
Thats why I grow mine upwards on frames Clay, I  just don't have the room for all the squash I want to grow, if they ever germinate that is! >:(
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal