Author Topic: Lily of the Valley  (Read 1783 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Lily of the Valley
« on: May 09, 2005, 17:54:36 »
My pots of Lily of the Valley are over three years old and have only ever produced one flower.  I threatened them that if they didn't bloom this year they were heading for the compost bin.  They must have heard me!   ;D

G xx

'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: Lily of the Valley
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 21:50:27 »
Lucky lucky you Georgie.  For as long as I have known my mummy, they have been her most fave scented flower, and do you think she can grow them...nope!  She buys roots..or corms...or bulbs....whatever they are.. or plants, year in and year out....but they never make a return.  Wonderful!  See, a good talking to and a good threat is what we should all do to our poorly flowers, fruit and veg!  ;D

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 22:01:43 »
Yep, Emma, pass the tip onto your Mum.   ;D

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 09:35:31 »
I got some bare-rooted ones this year and they already have a little flower on them. Maybe i'm just lucky?

In our old flat there were some in the front garden that flowered really well and were spreading. Maybe they thrive on neglect? (that was before I got into this gardening thing!)
gone to pot :D

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 12:28:41 »
Once they become established in the open they are very difficult to remove as the roots are a bit like convolulus (not quite so bad)

I remember my Dad being very cross because they used to invade his veg plot from Mum's flower beds

Phil

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 18:02:34 »
Yes, I'd heard that too, but mine are in pots so no danger there. 

As for thriving on neglect I don't know.  I top dressed the pots in the Autumn with home made compost (in the absence of leaf mould which I hope to have this year, fingers crossed) but I haven't fed them otherwise.  I suspect that the problem was that the bulbs I bought were not of as good a quality as I'd hoped from a so called reputable supplier. 

G xx

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal