Produce > Edible Plants

Raspberries - what to do?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Chloe:
My rasberry canes arrived yesterday.  Any tips on giving them a good start in life?  Grew them many years ago and didn't look after them but would like to take these ones seriously and get good crops in the years to come.  Don't even know how far to plant them apart.

Palustris:
Dig out a trench about 2 feet wide and as long as you need and a good spade depth. Fork in  2 to 3 inches of well rotted manure or compost in to the bottom and put back the soil, adding some bonemeal if you use it or what ever general plant food you prefer. Plant the canes about 18 inches apart and about 3 inches deep. If they are Summer fruiting varieties, cut the canes down to a bud about 9 to 12 inches above ground. In Spring feed with the kind of food recommended for Roses (Tonk's Rose Fertiliser) or which ever type of plant food you like to use. I would also spread a good mulch over the bed as well. Raspberries like a deep rich moisture retentive soil.

Chloe:
Thank you for that advice, Palustris.  I'll look forward to doing on Saturday.

Palustris:
If you can, at the same time, you should put in the supporting framework for the canes to be tied to. Posts and wire are the usual method, otherwise the canes flop around. Can be done afterwards, but  some support is definitel needed.

carloso:
do the roots spread all over ???  ???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version