Produce > Edible Plants

Raspberries - what to do?

(1/3) > >>

campanula:
Hello, fruit experts,
I have planted some raspberries - 10midsummer (Malling Admiral) and 10 autumn (Galante)- what do I do now. I had a feeling that the autumn ones at least should be pruned back after planting but not certain. Also, the Galante ones are supposed to be good for two crops a season- can't quite see how that can be butI think that they are meant to be pruned after harvest and there will be an early crop the following season. What about the next autumn then?

Mrs Ava:
No idea Campanula, however, when you are picking, I will willingly come and help you!  YUMYUM   :P

campanula:
thanks. Emma-Jane and Mega - the raspberries are bare-rooted so little more than 2foot twigs really. I amgoing to leave the summer ones and chop the autumn ones down to about 30cm.
looking forward to raspberry pavlovas...yum ;D

Palustris:
Mega is right. Autumn fruiting ones produce fruit on the new canes, so cut them down to about 9inches after planting. Summer fruiting raspberries produce fruiit on the canes produced from July onwards and which over-winter. I would leave the new ones of these alone. In future, cut out he Summer fruited canes as soon as they have finished bearing. Cut the Autumn ones back to the ground in February. Both types like rich moisture retentive soil and lots of food. Have fun and enjoy the fruit when it comes. Don't like 'em myself.

Mrs Ava:
Don't like raspberry's!   :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version