Author Topic: Butterflies  (Read 3355 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Butterflies
« on: May 02, 2005, 20:49:43 »
I adore butterflies but sadly, despite growing lots of things they are said to like, I rarely get anything more interesting than the odd cabbage white or red admiral.  But today I spotted a beautiful female Holly Blue on my ivy.  Of course, I didn't have my camera handy but it is so pretty and if you are not familiar with it, there are plenty of lovely pics if you Google.   :)

What butterflies have others spotted so far?

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: Butterflies
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 22:10:32 »
Loads, which is a worry as catterpillars are bound to follow!

My problem is, I have no idea what any of them are, but I can tell you there are lots of big fluttery white ones at the allotment and these much smaller, sky blue ones dancing around my garden.  I try to grow a good selection of 'natural' plants, rather than plants that have been bred to be perfect, but scent free, to encourage the butterflies, moths, bees, and other flying thingies, and always have a garden alive with buzzing and fluttering.  Drives my stepdaughter mad as she is terrified of every single bug and critter so she tends to spend a great deal of time indoors in front of the goggle box!

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 20:10:17 »
Georgie, I grow lots of buddlias in pots and they absolutely adore them.  In fact they call this plant the "butterfly bush" For the moment, we have lots of little blue ones and other white ones.  Not sure of their names but they are so very pretty !

Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 20:13:25 »
Last year my niece rescued a peacock form the waterbut.  She thought it was an admiral and named it Nelson.  Nelson stayed a while to dry out then disappeared.  She made me buy naff plastic butterflies to stick on the shed as a reminder.
Get with the beat Baggy

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 20:15:00 »
I spotted an Orange Tip today, first one for years.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 20:21:33 »
Oh, orange tips are beautiful, aren't they?  I had one in my garden last year.  But don't get me started on Buddleia!  I'm not particularly fond of it but I bought a standard one a few years back and I've never seen so much as a moth near it.   >:(

G xx

'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 21:38:29 »
Seen plenty of whites and also the limey-yellow ones  :)

tango

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2005, 23:09:27 »
I never noticed as many flutterbys as this year... think it is the pond and stream that attract them.  Today five brown butteflies (could be sooty coppers) came down and danced around the waterfall, they seem to stop and drink.  I have also seen a peacock and a couple of small tortoise shells.

;)

westsussexlottie

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 09:04:00 »
Saw an orange tip and a small blue butterfly this weekend as well as the cabbage whites... >:(

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005, 18:02:29 »
buddleia will attract butterflies but it is no good for caterpillars. I looked up the orange tip and it lays eggs on honesty which is all over an un-used patch at the minute, so I think I will leave it alone for a while. It also uses mustard garlic for egg laying, no problem there as well.

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2005, 18:44:23 »
I agree Heritage.  Today, spotted some ladybirds on my buddlia which, unfortunately, is carrying a large amount of blackfly  >:( >:(

I wash them down by squirting water onto them but I will let Mrs Ladybird eat her full before performing this task tonight !   ;D
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2005, 17:47:56 »
I saw another Holly Blue today and managed to get a snap.  It's not very good but the problem with butterflies is that they rarely open their wings when settled and move too d**n quick when in flight!   ::)

G xx

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal