Author Topic: Blight  (Read 1879 times)

janebb

• Quarter Acre
Blight
« on: May 05, 2005, 20:47:40 »
As both potatoes and tomatoes can both get blight is it okay to plant tomatoes where potatoes were last year?

I think my whole plot (new to me) was planted with spuds last year. (It is half of what was once a much bigger plot so this isn't as barmy as it sounds).  Does this mean that I will have to give tomatoes a miss this year?

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
Re: Blight
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 21:02:32 »
i dont know the answer, but will be watching this thread with interest.

our plots are all very small (due to venry small allotment site) and i was told but a lady across the main path that she lost all her tomatoers last year to blight. the pots dont seem so affected because most people only grow earlies.

how can one treat blight? how can one prevent blight getting to the toms (outdoor, not covered)? i am sure there must be tricks????
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 23:04:40 »
I don't know the answer, but guessing, I would say, as I think they are the same family, or at least very similar, probably best to position them somewhere else.

To prevent blight I fear is almost impossible!  I will be using bordeaux mixture on my toms to try and slow the pace, plus I shall be growing them under a plastic roof which should stop rainwater falling onto the plants as much, which should prevent humidity around the plants, which should slow the race.  Also I am planning to remove a few leaves as the tom plants grow, to help air circulation.  Other than that, I just don't know.  I do have a tomato back up though, my greenhouse will be packed to the rooftop with toms of all shapes and sizes and I use different tools at home to try and prevent bringing blight back home with me!

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 09:29:35 »
I wouldn't put toms where spuds were last year.

But as you have no choice, it might be worth a try?
gone to pot :D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 16:19:16 »
If there was infected debris left in the ground, it could re-infect.

janebb

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005, 22:43:20 »
Was at the lottie yesterday and dug up another dozen or so.  I seem to be pulling up 20-30 a week.  How many spuds could my predecessor have planted?!

Aargh!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal