Produce > Edible Plants

groundcover herb

<< < (2/3) > >>

Suze_O:
My neighbour gave me a cutting of  plant last year, which I  believe is called a perennial wallflower.  It grows to about 2' has long grey'green leathery leaves, blooms constantly, long shoots of magenta flowers, sea of butterflies and bees. It is in full bloom even now.  Also, I have been told, comes  in yellow and peach.

Otherwise I would say lavendar, rosemary, sedum, echinops.

Palustris:
Violas are the biggest seed weeds you can imagine. We bought 6 half dead plants for 30p. Now the whole of a border 12 feet by 60 feet is covered in seedlings. Mind they are very pretty and we remove them when we need the space, but be warned.
Thyme is good, but it does require very well drained soil in full sun to really thrive. We have never had much success with it here.
Feverfew is a bad weed, seeds are persistent, will come up years after you have removed the last plant.
Have a look at a book called Plants for Groundcover by Graham Stuart Thomas. It is a RHS book. Very good and some different ideas.

tim:
I was into the marjoram idea, until I checked on our acres of it and confirmed that all the leaves have already gone. Otherwise - quite quick and good flowers. = Tim

gavin:
Hi rdak - thyme'd be worth trying; they've done a good ground-cover type job in a small herb-bed I have (and squeezed out the golden marjoram - thugs!), and bumble bees and hover-flies love the stuff.

All best - Gavin

Garden Manager:

--- Quote ---thanks for suggestions.

Creeping Thyme definately seems a good idea. Lemon Balm is another idea, as is fewerfew.
:)
--- End quote ---

Lemon balm!!!

Well you will certainly get a quick effect there. Very invasive.

Had a clump of it in the garden when we moved here 7 years ago.  Soon dug it up but even now bits keep popping up.  Needs to be restricted like mint.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version