Produce > Edible Plants

groundcover herb

(1/3) > >>

rdak:
hi
am looking for a perennial herb that will provide quick groundcover for a border.
must be able to survive winters in SE England.
Preferably something that won't grow higher than a 3 foot or so; and also would prefer something that is not going to self-seed all over the garden.

Primary aim is to cover bare soil to prevent cats digging and secondary aim something that attracts beneficial insects.

know of anything that fits the bill?
thanks

cleo:
ummmm-tricky,it`s the quick growing that floors me,I may be off the mark here but would have suggested lavender,rosemary(it can be cut back) and hyssop.

They would be good in a border and would certainly attract bees and butterflies-but would not be an instant fix.

Stephan

Mrs Ava:
What about thymes?  Low growing ground covery, altho in my experience not the fastest, covered in lovely flowers and the bees and fluterbyes love them!  Mine are evergreen and have formed wonderfully scented mounds, and you can get them in various colours.

rdak:
thanks for suggestions.

Creeping Thyme definately seems a good idea. Lemon Balm is another idea, as is fewerfew.
Not exactly herbs- but apparently violas, cotton lavender and ox-eye daisy make good hardy groundcover as well
thanks
:)

Hyacinth:
I've got thymes and my all-time fave, golden marjoram - just love that acid-yellow colour and the perfume's wonderful. Don't find they take long to establish at all.

Leave off the feverfew!! Now that's a thug I regret ever having introduced and it seeds like billy-o. After about 5 years of trying I've (perhaps) just managed to eradicate it.

Lemon balm...when I had it in a confined space, it was great. So great I moved some into the great outdoors. Mistake. It's become invasive & without digging everything up I can't completely eradicate it (not wanting to use a systemic.)

Violas are pretty and prolific, but I don't think they'd make the dense cover you're looking for?

Where do you live, btw? Anywhere near B'ham & you're welcome to some mounds of thyme/golden marjoram in March. - Lishka

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version