Author Topic: Comfrey  (Read 5841 times)

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
Re: Comfrey
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2005, 10:05:11 »
Yes some propogation tips would be great - I have some but the dog keeps eating it?! 

Also how is it best to make liquid manure - I tried last year with a mixture of nettles and comfrey (the bit the dog left) and the resultant black liquid stunk so much I was 'asked' to get rid of it.

I put it in a bucket with some bricks on top and left it for a couple of weeks, is that right?

Adrian

Adrian,

Sorry I missed your request for information earlier

To propogate, in Feb-Mar (this the ideal, it allows the donor plants to be replanted and grow on - you can do it during Spring and Summer, but the donor plant will suffer) take a 2" piece of root (make a straight cut at the top and an angled one at the bottom, so that you don't get muddled later). Stick them in some compost with the straight cut edge level with the surface and they will rapidly produce roots and within a month start to produce leaves. I put 4 (one at each corner) in a 7cm square plastic pot so 5 would go in 9cm round pot.
When they look like little plants, plant out 2' 6" or so apart in well manured ground (that's to give em a good start in life) and don't pick leaves this year. You should get up to three crops from next year. Cut them down to the ground when you see the flower stalks starting. Give em a covering of muck/compost each Autumn or Spring - Then you can lift them and give away root cuttings from 2007.

It's nice to leave the odd flower as they attract bees and Bocking 14 doesn't produce viable seed so it doesn't spread like the common stuff.
Be aware, though, that when you lift plants, bits of root will break off, each of these will produce plants so choose you location carefully, it will be you comfrey plot for life!! - again with Bocking 14, the roots do not spread.

You can (and I recommend) make comfrey liquid without water by just piling the leaves in a suitable container, placing a weight on top and collecting the liquid.
The advantage of this system is that the volume is much less (as it's concentrated) and so is the smell. I have a 5 gallon plastic ex-fruit barrel with lid and tap at the bottom (just like a home-brew beer barrel - but much cheaper). I pile leaves in during the growing season with house brick on top and draw off liquid at bottom. At end of season remove the lumpy bits and refill, the old liquid in the bottom seems to start the production quicker than just dry leaves (which isn't long anyway).

I have seen a small version made from a vertical piece of plastic drain pipe (2'-3' long) with the top part of a plastic bottle firmly fixed to the bottom (use waterproof glue/sticky tape. Remember to screw top back on bottle top (or bottom as it is now). Fix pipe to a vertical surface using pipe brackets (as sold in DIY shops). Insert leaves at top and apply a weight - the version I saw used another plastic bottle that would fit easily inside the pipe, filled with water and with a piece of string attached (to retrieve it as it disappeared into the pipe)
Dilute the liquid to the colour of "weak tea" to make liquid fertiliser and then dilute again if you want it as a foliar feed.

Any more info required?

Phil

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2005, 12:25:16 »
I've got my Bocking 14's but potted on and not planted out yet.  I'm doing that pipe thing to draw off the juice.  It's illustrated very well in the HDRA organic encylopaedia the way you described Phil.  We were all talking about the other day and it seems that everyone is wanting to grow comfrey these days  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2005, 12:47:21 »
I've just produced a (poor) diagram showing the drainpipe comfrey liquid device -  the plot holder next door has one so I'll ytake a piccy this weekend

The pipe can be as long as you like, but remember to make the piece of string just that bit longer (and wrap it round a nail so that it doesn't drop inside the pipe

The top of the bottle at the bottom (if you see what I mean) is the "tap" - be prepared to have your hands covered in sweet smelling comfrey liquid!!!  ;D

Phil

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2005, 18:53:16 »
The picture is worth a 1,000 words...thanks Phil

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2005, 22:35:53 »
I don't use any liquid in a comfrey maker- I just have a barrel with a tap and sling the leaves in. I don't have one going at the moment due to having had several barrels stolen, but hope to before long.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2005, 09:54:42 »
Ta for the picture Phil.  I copied some and took them to a lotty meeting last night so hopefully everyone will have a comfrey tea maker  :)

ice

• Not So New ...
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2005, 21:49:52 »
it's also a good idea to put some gauze or mesh in, to stop the leaves clogging up the bottom end cap.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2005, 09:44:31 »
Phil     My lotty mate made a comfrey tea maker yesterday and it is now in service.  Instead of using the pop bottle in the top he used a champagne bottle  ;D

Bun

• Half Acre
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2005, 10:03:56 »
What a great thread!

Anyway, ther is quite a large clump of this stuff on the abandoned lottie next to mine & it is in flower right now.
I know I have to cut it now, but will it be OK to put down as a mulch with its flowers?
Am worried they're going to dry & seed my veggie beds. 

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2005, 21:32:45 »
you could take the flowers off first  :)

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2005, 15:34:00 »
Phil     My lotty mate made a comfrey tea maker yesterday and it is now in service.  Instead of using the pop bottle in the top he used a champagne bottle  ;D

That's just showing off!!  :D

On using comfrey as a mulch, spread it out to dry for while and then chop it up, stems and leaves can root!!!

Phil

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2005, 15:49:51 »
My comfrey plants (five now!) are in pots as I haven't got room to put them in the ground yet. Will they be ok in 6in pots with a feed of chicken manure occassionally?

I am planning on putting a few in my flower beds (when they are dug). How big will the plants get?
gone to pot :D

Bun

• Half Acre
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2005, 23:29:52 »
you could take the flowers off first

*Shakes head in dispare at own lack of vision*  :-\

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2005, 06:38:18 »
I am planning on putting a few in my flower beds (when they are dug). How big will the plants get?

Big, it's a pretty lush grower. Count on the clumps being 3-4 feet across before too long.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2005, 09:43:56 »
Count on the clumps being 3-4 feet across before too long.
:o :o :o

Five plants will fill my entire garden!

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2005, 12:29:59 »
the uncultivated (but rented  >:() lottie next to mine is literally covered in comfrey - there is barely a square inch without it. It is now heading towards mine..... 

As no one seems to look after it I think I will go and liberate some of the leaves.

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2005, 13:27:36 »
Aqui,

The well behaved version (Bocking 14) is usually planted 2' - 2' 6" apart and that forms a solid mass. They will be ok in pots for a while.

The ones that are "heading for" you Justy aren't Bocking 14, it tends to stay where you put it. If you liberate the flowers as well you could slow down its spread by seeds

Phil

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2005, 15:49:04 »
hmm... I think I'll keep them in their pots for now. Although I do want to have enough comfrey to feed my tomatoes (if they ever grow!) maybe just one in the border? I'll see if I have room when we dig up a bit more of the path.

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2005, 12:23:25 »
Aqui,

You might get a crop if you plant one in one of teh flower buckets the supermarkets use.

Phil

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal