Author Topic: Jeyes versus couch grass  (Read 4266 times)

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Jeyes versus couch grass
« on: May 04, 2005, 04:46:40 »
Hiya folks

Has anybody out there ever tried using Jeyes to kill couchgrass (or any other perennial weed) & did it work?  Also,  any idea on how effect Jeyes is at killing of slugs etc.

My plot is infested with the terrible two-some so on advice of the oracle (aka Dad) the two thirds of the plot which are remaining fallow this year are getting a good dose or two of Jeyes.

Can anybody also advise me on the best dilution rate too, if possible.   Fortunately my local Wilko's has 1-litre cans of Jeyes on special offer of 2 for £10.

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

Kevins299

• Not So New ...
  • live life to the full.......
Re: Jeyes versus couch grass
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 08:18:12 »
J-fluid will kill off slugs but also all the good worms also......and using Jfluid is now illegal but many still use it. as for grass rather use a specific weedkiller for it like roundup. but  the only true method is to dig the stuff out slowly but surely. the no dig method does work to a point but only if you keep an area well mulched.

we had success using the following method: covering the area in cardboard, putting a large thick layer of horse muck and compost, coveing that in agriblack cloth. then we cut a few holes in and planted squashes in it. squash love rich compost and the black agricloth gives them the warmth they like. we are into the secong year of doing this and a peek under the layers shows the couch grass has died and roots are weaker, thinner and not happy. so dont just cover it and lose useful ground for a year or two. squashes need lots of space to run....let them have dun at couch grass expense!

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 09:30:58 »
Sounds like an interesting teqhnique Kevin. I have recently aquired the other half of my plot which is quite weedy, and was trying to decide whether to rotovate or to cover or both. Your method sounds a lot better  :)
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 12:33:38 »
DONT ROTIVATE!!!!!  sorry for shouting but I made big big mistake of rotivating a weedy couch grassy allotment and boy am I suffering!  The couchgrass/clover/thistle coating over the uncultivated part of my allotment is now total.  I only have half a plot so really reluctant to then put half of that under cover for 12 months or more so am using the mechanical dig it out method but it is like painting Forth bridge and I am thinking of resorting to roundup...

ps. - what is Jeyes?

Kevins299

• Not So New ...
  • live life to the full.......
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 14:42:46 »
dont rotavate!!!! :o unless you want to weed for evermore.

Jeyes fluid is an old household disinfection liquid that is good but not environmentally freindly any more as it kills the good things also and leaves you with a sterile soil!....not good .....as you need the godd ugly bugs and earth worms ;D

Bionic Wellies

• Acre
  • That many spuds !
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 16:51:07 »
I used jeyes fluid to treat an area where I intended to put my onion bed.  A couple of glugs into a watering can of water and then liberally water everything.  That year my onions were disease free whilst others on the same site lost their crops ... so now loads of folk use the method - the whole site smells of a public toilet (freshly cleaned) for about a week every autumn. - but it works - thats probably why they have banned it!
Always look on the bright side of life

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 17:19:31 »
Wonder if it would slow down the white rot...... not of course that I would use it on the plot!  Have to say I would worry about the veggies tasting.  When I was a nipper and first into gardening, we had vine weevils everywhere eating everything, so I used to water all of my pots with a very very weak solution of jeyes fluid.  I love the smell, but it is strong stuff!  Mum had a big can in her garage and hasn't used it for years, and they jeyes has eaten away at the metal! The resule, a shiny hygenic garage floor!  :-\

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal