Author Topic: Home-grown veg & Toxoplasmosis  (Read 4077 times)

SueK

• Half Acre
  • Pudsey, West Yorkshire
Home-grown veg & Toxoplasmosis
« on: May 03, 2005, 21:04:44 »
Not sure this is the right place for this but here goes.

We have been reading a little bit about the risk of toxoplasmosis being spread through home-grown vegetables.  Is it a case of thoroughly washing the veg concerned and trying to keep cats away, wearing gloves when gardening, etc. or is this perhaps not enough to prevent infection if the veg are "contaminated"?

We had some good news this week, by the way! :)

Regards to all,

Sue

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
Re: Home-grown veg & Toxoplasmosis
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 22:09:59 »
Am I reading too much into it?  Congratulations and good wishes in order?

(Realised at a wedding recently that they were expecting a wee one they hadn't told anyone about yet.  The juggler for the reception (brilliant, he was) had the bride and groom lie on the floor, while he stood astride them and juggled large knives; walked up and down,straddling the prostrate figures.

The groom held his hands for obvious protection.

The bride's hands protected her tummy, protecting something FAR more precious - no ill effects; gorgeous baby girl a month ago.)

Sorry, I'm warbling - it seems that washing veg well is required (and sufficient)?  But that's only a summary glance after a google on "toxoplasmosis vegetables uk".

If I'm right - all very best wishes to you all.  If I've misread, allow me to cover my embarrassment discreetly :)

All best - Gavin
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 22:13:51 by gavin »

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 22:34:22 »
Sue i dont know about the veg but i know that if you are pregnant you should ALWAYS wear gloves when gardening and if you have a cat yourself, get someone else to empty the littler tray.

And if i am reading correctly, congratulations  :)

SueK

• Half Acre
  • Pudsey, West Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 22:42:58 »
Many thanks for your replies, Gavin and HoneyBee, which have taken a weight off our mind - I did a search on Google as well (probably what I should have done in the first place) and that backed up what we (and you) thought, but the blurb which the doctor passed on to me today was so vague and had such a sinister note that I was beginning to think that the usual measures of which I was aware (gloves, etc) weren't up to the job somehow.  It must have been the way it was worded.

But yes, the latest addition to the household is due on 23rd December, subject to the usual balance of probabilities: we can't wait to tell the in-laws that we've made other plans for Christmas! ;D

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 23:56:33 »
Congrats - have three of the blighters myself.  I think a bit of washing is all you need - we have eaten dirty organic for years.  Any of the rumours are just spread by the chemical companies.  I certainly know that I would like my kids to build upo tolerance through soil and not weakness through sterilty.

I would advise to stay well away from rats.

Best of luck  :)
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Mothy

• Hectare
  • My 4th season on my Lottie in Leicestershire.
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 00:09:53 »
As the father of a 2 year old  little girl (gorgeous!) and a 6 week old little boy (equally gorgeous) may i offer our congratulatiuons and good wishes Sue!  ;D

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 10:23:32 »
alternative plans for christmas are always a bonus ;D
congrats
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Bun

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 13:37:04 »
Many congratulations!  :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 16:13:03 »
Congrats Sue!  ;D  Wonder what hossy Christmas dinner is like??  I spent my honeymoon in the maternity ward of Maidstone hossy and there was no champers!  Cheek of it!!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005, 18:40:17 »
Congraulations!!  I was brought upon a filthy, wonderful farm and luckily, had natural immunity.  But be careful. However, when the kid(s!) are older, make sure they are regularly dipped in dirt, for happy, healthy offspring!! I have 4 and all must have eaten more dirt than anything else over the years.  Very jealous of Christmas arrangements  by the way ::)   ;D
Over the span of the 12 years of pregnancy and childbirth, the Doctors changed their minds frequently on what I could and couldn't do, don't eat liver, do eat liver.  Avoid fish, eat lots of fish!! Take it all with a huge pinch of salt, and just stay happy!! Lottie

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2005, 10:26:08 »
Congrats and all that  :)  I worry on the lotty about handling the soil where there is all chewed up plastic bags where the rats have been nesting.  I wonder how long the effects of their urine stay in the soil.  I always wear gloves when handling manure but it gets on your clothes and everywhere.  I suppose if we're careful about hand washing and washing our veggies under the tap we should be fine.  I wouldn't go the trouble of using sterilising fluid for washing my veg as some do
I came, I saw, I composted

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal