Author Topic: Pr..king out or potting up. Needs must...  (Read 2160 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Pr..king out or potting up. Needs must...
« on: May 03, 2005, 15:56:25 »
Someone asked.

If you're pushed, you can pr..k out as small as this.

And although t'other could go out if we were frost free, it's fine for potting up. As I had to do today.  Because we're not!

Justy

• Hectare
Re: Pr..king out or potting up. Needs must...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 16:06:38 »
is there any benefit from moving seedlings out of modules into bigger pots before they go in the ground?  I have been moving them on because i needed the module trays but they all look at bit pathetic and puny.

Also I am growing loads of stuff from seed at the moment for a charity plant sale on 2nd July.  I am potting them on into plastic drinking cups with holes poked in the bottom (because they are only £1 for 100!).  Do you think they will all be ok in these until July?  I am growing bog standard stuff such as Nasturtiums, Calendula, Gazania, Marigolds etc.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 16:15:42 »
Justy - I pot things on from the modules, as I only have a few modules! I believe it gives them more room to grow and more access to food. Some things get stunted if they are too cramped.

Tim - first one is a relief. I've done most of mine at that size this year! (last year I left loads too late, so they got really leggy, so I was trying to do better this time!)
gone to pot :D

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 16:29:19 »
I am trying to do the same as mine are all a bit leggy and spindly. 

As a side issue - was at garden centre yesterday and they were giving away all the old module trays that their plug plants were in - they are really sturdy and I got 10 trays - 100 modules in all!  Off to fill them now!   ;D

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 15:17:53 »
I think things do need pr*cking out and potting up. I think in the long run it maked the plants healthier and stronger. Plus, fresh growing meduim provdes nutrients which helps the plant as well.

After reading a debate on the site last year about modular sowng versus pr*cking out, I decided this year to try direct sowing into modules as a trial. It was not a sucess. OK a couple of veg plants like cabbage and lettcue did OK grown this way, but tomatoes and hardy perennials grew rather 'floppy' and spindly and needed pr*cking out from the modules! After which they grew on happily and strongly (albeit more slowly after such a shaky start).

Subsequent sowings have been in a more traditional way - into small shallow pots and then transplanted into modules - from where they are easily potted up into larger modules or pots to grow  on before planting out. This method seems to suit what i grow well.

Justy - top marks to that garden centre for doing that. So many just dump their pots and trays in a skip without even offering them to customers. Often all the things need is a good wash  and they are as good as new again
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 15:21:36 by Garden Cadet »

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 17:23:52 »
I am a module girl and have excellent success with it.  For me, it is a time issue.  Between 2 allotments, garden, house, 2.5 kids, Ava, family, etc and so on, etc..... time is always precious.  I find module or pot grown plants can be left to their own devices until I am ready to plant out - celery, celeriac, lettuce yesterday for example.  Pushed out with a short piece of bamboo, no root disturbance, strong little plants plonked straight into their little hole.  I think it is just a case of whatever suits you - sone people have the time, and are light fingered enough to prick out, others suit module life.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 20:50:49 »
A model girl, I would say!

And modules make sense. Or why would all the plant suppliers be turning to them?

But the right size for the job is critical.

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 20:55:04 »
quite like the modules because I can judge how many plants I will get (provided they all germinate  :)) I hate having a tray full of little babies and then not having space for them all when I have pricked them out.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal