Author Topic: sprout help  (Read 1593 times)

slugcatcher

• Half Acre
sprout help
« on: May 03, 2005, 08:24:35 »
need some advice quick
I have been given some spouts (plants) ready for planting. I have never grown them b4.
advice wanted:
soil hard /soft (newly dug or not)
how far apart
any thing to add to soil

and anything eles pests deseases, cover them

please help

Ron
Dont screw up the best things in life cos you dont know who you are, or where you are going !!

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
Re: sprout help
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 10:53:48 »

They prefer firm soil, mainly as they do not have extensive root systems. They are also best if you stake them as well.

At planting a bit of lime is useful and put collars around to prevent cabbage root fly attack. Also net them if you can to stop butterflies laying eggs. They can suffer from white fly but this is normally not a huge problem. The recent mild winter means white fly has been active nearly all year here in the south. Fleecing would keep them of if you are bothered.

The worst problem can be club root. Little means to control though there are some chemicals you can use. Also other say planting a bit of rhubarb or a few bayleaves under the roots can control it. This is helped if you raise the plants in pots and pot on until the plants are as large as possible and in something like a 9” pot.

When you plant out earth up the stem to give more support and encourage rooting.

I have club root on my plot, but having said that got a good crop of Brussels and caulis last year. The Brussels did keel over at the end of the season though.

HTH

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Sarah-b

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 11:12:13 »
Just to show the variety in soil conditions:

On my soil (ph8) - I will not be sprinkling any lime.
I'll be getting them in as firm as poss (had "blown sprouts" last year cos of "rocking" apparently).
Also no club root on my soil - cos is too alkaline. Two terrible problems we have are:
* pigeons - so definitely have to net
* flea beetle  - destroys young plants, so have to fleece, or mesh until they are established, then will swap to net.

Sarah.

ALAN HOWELL

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 12:47:22 »
I have club root so I plant my sprouts at the bottom of a 9" trench with a collar and a hand ful of lime,then I earth them up as they grow,this enables them to make new roots and they become very stable and require no staking.........Alan
I GOT A LOTTA LOTTIE

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal