Author Topic: Fish ages?  (Read 3227 times)

maz

• Acre
Fish ages?
« on: April 27, 2005, 12:32:10 »
I have a few goldfish and 1 Koi and was just wondering how long they live?

I can date some of the goldfish as they were born in the pond. They are only about 3 years old.
A friend is someone who thinks you are a good egg,
even though you are slightly cracked.

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
Re: Fish ages?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 14:55:14 »
not sure how long they live maz but i have a goldfish that a friend gave me which his son won at a fair 10 years ago and he swims round my pond like a fry very happy

maz

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 19:33:59 »
Thanks dibber. Ive just gone a-googling   ;D and it seems 20 years is the norm so enjoy your little fishy for many years yet.

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 19:38:38 »
seems like  i have them for a good few more years yet then maz lets hope they just stay healthy as i do love my little fishes

Anthony

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 09:18:07 »
Strange but true

When I bought my first house with my ex-girlfriend back in 1996 - I bought her 2 goldfish and a tank as a moving in present.  In 2000 I left the house (and her), and the goldfish and moved into another house with my now wife Jo.  Within a few months of me moving out the ex decided to get herself a couple of cats and thinking that the fish and cats wouldn't mix well she decided to give the goldfish to my sister who along with my brother-in-law had a big pond in their back garden.  The fish lived happily in the pond and grew quite large until in 2003 my sister and her then hubby decided that they didn't want to live with each other any more and went their separate ways.  The house was empty for a number of months and the pond left to its own devices. 

Concerned that the fish were not being looked after properly the brother-in-law managed to find a home for most of them with one of his pals (Jim) who had a smaller pond in his garden but was happy to take them.  At the back end of last year Jim decided to part company with his then wife, the house was inevitably put on the market and within a few months the fish were homeless again.  At this stage my ex brother-in-law heard that I was planning on building a bigger pond and asked if I would like some free fish to go in it.  It was only after I had agreed to take the fish that I realised that 2 of the 6 he gave me were the original ones I had bought my ex back in 1996. - I've not managed to tell my wife yet and suspect that when I do they might become homeless for a fourth time :)

maz

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 11:02:54 »
 :o :o :o

Nooooo dont take them, they are cursed!!!!.  They're home wreckers!  :o

;D ;D

Sorry Anthony splitting up is not a laughing matter but it does seem they are not exactly lucky!  ;D

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 11:05:47 »
Oh Tony you couldn't make it up  ;D ;D

Those poor fish have probably got their suitcase packed ready for the next move as we speak. Though i am sure this time you will break the bad luck they seem to bring!!!

Margaret

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2005, 15:50:31 »
Tony, keep the poor fish - I'm sure your wife would find it  funny if you told her - I certainly had a chuckle! ;D But if you think she would not be sympathetic - just don't tell her! After all, the fish aren't to blame for this extraordinary coincidence, any more than you are.

Tricia

Anthony

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 13:01:06 »
I was thinking I could perhaps start calling them by their original names my ex-girlfriend gave them "Muppet & Chips" and if Jo (The wife) asks I'll just say that that is the name they have always had :)

Or even better still, my ex is getting married in May and there still is an outside chance we could get invited to the night do - I can perhaps take the fish along in a bowl and give them her back :)

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2005, 13:19:25 »
Anthony i think that the fish were on their own private mission to become reunited with the original purchaser ;) So lets hope that the curse is now broken  :o  ;D

Great story though  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal