Author Topic: Tree suggestions  (Read 4751 times)

wardy

• Hectare
Re: Tree suggestions
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2005, 10:11:31 »
I love lilacs too but they seem to be really out of favour these days which is a pity.  :(
I came, I saw, I composted

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2005, 10:22:44 »
Lilacs grow really well on our slightly chalky soil and nearly every garden has at least one around here, we have three and they all look ans smell lovely right now.

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2005, 11:35:59 »
That is very preety Merry Tiller, i love it  :)

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2005, 17:24:29 »
The memory's going and I can't remember the variety but all Japanese cherries look fantastic

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2005, 18:16:59 »
An Autumn Cherry is nice as it flowers through the winter before coming into leaf now. Not too big either, latin name is huge!
Prunus subhirtella autumnalis rosea.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2005, 22:58:06 »
As I trundled through Chelmsford today (along Broomfield road) I saw a pink grass verge where 3 cherries had shed all of their blossom.  It looked glorious!  Like a huge pile of marshmellows!  As I passed by about 40 minutes later, a chap was out there with his garden hoover collecting them all up!  :(  I felt like stopping and asking for them as I thought they would made a good mulch around my broadbeans ;D (big girly that I am), but number one son wanted his lunch, and I feared for my sanity at the thought of scattering cherry blossom around my allotment!  :-\ ;D

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2005, 00:42:24 »
Trees Latin names are fantastic....Fraxinus Exelsior.......Quercus Robur....etc.

Old Bean

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2005, 19:04:55 »
What about an Amelanchier? Lovely spring blossom, good spring and autumn foliage, and the birds love the berries (though this means you can't admire them for long)

Marley Farley

• Acre
  • May all your plants grow well!!
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2005, 09:01:02 »
Honeybee,

Just another thought.  The graceful and easy to control silver birch.  It has beautiful bark all the year round, looks dainty and delicate all year, makes the most wonderful sound in a breeze and, provided you top it, will not grow too high so that it doesn't dominate.  Only disadvantage I have come across is that it sheds bits of branches during winter months - just a matter of picking them up.  Mean twiglets really because their branches are so delicate.  More like deadheadings from an herbacious plant.

What a lovely idea.  Everyone who has enough space should be able to have a little tree!   :D
I agree lovely tree, but,,,,, they attract nesting pigeons when they get bigger & the amount of seed becomes over whelming, iy blocks gutters etc so it will keep you busy! !
"I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself".

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2005, 22:20:22 »
Amelanchier is good, especially the autumn colours but the blossom on ours only lasts a week or so, one gust of wind & it's disappeared down the road

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal