Author Topic: How far behind are you  (Read 3275 times)

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
How far behind are you
« on: April 16, 2005, 19:20:08 »
Just wondering how far behind are other growers on last year, just looked at my diary for last year and l had things like Beetroot and Parsnips planted on the March 30th, got no chance of getting them in the ground yet, get one good drying day and the next it is raining.  Hope it picks up soon.
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

BAGGY

• Hectare
Re: How far behind are you
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2005, 19:46:08 »
Sooooooooooo far behind it's scary  :o
Ho hum, maybe the weather will pik up eventually and the real work can begin (rather than clearing @@@@ loads of weeds everytime I go to the lotty)
Get with the beat Baggy

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2005, 20:38:08 »
My Lottie neighbour grew his runner beans in his greenhouse to a height of around 5ins (12 thingies) and planted them out about a week ago and he recons he lost em to jack frost, our lowest temps this month was 2.4°C and that was yesterday ::) hardly call it frost.

I've just started some runners off in pots, still no rush (Is there? ???)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2005, 21:06:38 »
Stop panicking. Get this week out of the way if you're concerned about outdoor planting, (especially North of Brum) and things will be OK. Everything will catch-up...just be patient.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2005, 18:26:53 »
I am at least 2 weeks behind due to illnes, but hey, it all catches up eventually!! ;D 
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2005, 19:26:40 »
I have some Peas and Broad Beans planted out also my Shallots and Onions.
Runner and French Beans, Sweetcorn have only just been  put into pots. Have one or two more bits and bobs to pot on though.

I managed to get my bean poles into position today..there were oodles of folk at the lottie all beavering away...anyone would think spring had arrived...what a lovely sunny weekend we have had

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

supernan

• Half Acre
  • Chief mushroom compost digger, Bud
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2005, 20:01:18 »
 8) Not too bad it seems, was so lovely today have planted 3 types of parsnip and second lot of peas today. Also did some potting up, built a cold frame, chatted to passers by who were very nice and came round to the house to look at the greenhouse. They'll be back for my spare veg I dare say, did hint that I had a donations pot for the next years seeds!

Course now I'm behind as I should have planted some more spuds as well.
Supernan!!

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2005, 01:53:57 »
Its nice to see I am not the only one that is behind with the sowing and planting! My sprouts are in the greenhouse looking great! I have just planted my shallots  :o Late!! O well if I get a crop I will be happy! I have not planted my onion sets yet! It is all due to the bad weather! You are not the only one. I live in Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire and the weather up here has been very changeable. Either cold wet and windy or warm wet and damp. Even the weeds are confused LOL  :D
Be kind to slugs and snails!

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 21:12:56 »
This is my first year of growing something to eat !!  ::) 

My lettuces have germinated today as have the radishes and onions.  The coriander germinated yesterday and is doing well.  The broad beans are nowhere to be seen  ??? ::) 

On the other hand, I put out my lovely morning glories and something dreadful has happened to them.  Two or three of their leaves have gone all limp and flimsy.  I really do not know what the problem but there is further growth up the stick which is now 2 metres tall !  (6 foot something  ??? :P)
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2005, 22:53:58 »
It will all be fine, it will all catch up.  Some things I am behind on, some things infront of myself, but I don't worry.  It seems I get all frantic in March, gotta plant, gotta sow, and then before you know it, May is fast approaching, and still I am sowing and planting, but at a more relaxed pace.  I find that I enjoy the planting and sowing more now than back in early spring.

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2005, 01:10:20 »
2-3 weeks behind - but they'll all catch up!  [hmmph - they'd better; I've got my Xmas dinner planned :) ]

All best - Gavin

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2005, 06:18:57 »
Gavin please DONT PANIC!!!!!

Good advice I have picked up of this GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!! Fourm. I just sownd my tender stuff like sweetcorn etc. I am goinf to sow my beans (apart from the runners!) straight into the ground!
Be kind to slugs and snails!

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2005, 19:45:56 »
I put out my lovely morning glories and something dreadful has happened to them.  Two or three of their leaves have gone all limp and flimsy.  I really do not know what the problem but there is further growth up the stick which is now 2 metres tall !  (6 foot something  ??? :P)

I've been wondering what to do about my MG.  I've pinched some out but not others and those pinched out are growing new  leaves from  further down and so bushing up a bit (not new stems though).  They generally seem happier than those unpinched.

I still don't know whether to put them out into the cold frame though.

Perhaps *not* from your experience ...?

Ellkebe

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2005, 20:43:51 »
Ell

Don't put them out.  I did it about 5 days ago and the sun scorched many leaves which I then had to pull off.
They also dislike windy situation so leave them indoors until say June time.

;D
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2005, 23:35:37 »
definately - MGs are total wimps and go pasty and chlorotic at the slightest draught or even change in temperatures. Just nip them out if they are getting a bit straggly and put them out in June.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2005, 15:39:04 »
It's hard to compare really. I'm growing much more than last year and many things I've never tried before.

My tomatoes are about one month behind last year, because I took advice and waited to grow them. But now they seem way too small, considering I'm going to plant them out in a couple of weeks.

But then I think I'm ahead on spuds.

I've sown hardy any ornamentals this year yet, but had loads sown this time last year. I need the windowsill room for my edibles!

I'm still panicking, while also knowing it'll be ok!
gone to pot :D

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2005, 21:25:55 »
Thanks for advice on MGs - will make sure OH doesn't see it!  There are MGs on every available surface (not already covered by toms/ peppers/ herbs/ BES etc.) and even more MGs in the seed tray  :(

Ellkebe

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal