Author Topic: Onion Sets! Am I to late to plant?  (Read 15358 times)

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
Re: Onion Sets! Am I to late to plant?
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2005, 00:01:20 »
A mixture of Lincolne and Liverpool must be frightening, 
you better beleive it sluggy! ;) ;D
i am apussycat really! :-*
I'm a mixture of Warrington and Lincoln - so with you on tha tone.

PS Up the Wire!
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2005, 12:01:37 »
I've never won a medal before 8)
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2005, 16:24:40 »
my Dobies onion sets won't arrive until October :o if at all (that's another story >:()
I figure if the plants are on sale in the market, it's time to plant! Today they had white and purple broccoli plants, winter and spring cabbage and spring greens. Go for it! ;D ;D ;D

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2005, 16:52:17 »
I figure if the plants are on sale in the market, it's time to plant!

I would not really agree with that idea. For example there could be summer bedding plants for sale early april in full flower. People plant them out then the next week they are all dead because of a bad spell of hard frost.

My opinion is that it is not the markets that stipulate when you need to plant, but it is the weather that stipulates the planting time.

Hope that did not sound to nasty. I did not mean it to sound as though I was having a go at you :)

The_Snail

Be kind to slugs and snails!

the_snail

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2005, 16:56:59 »
I have not grown winter onions now for about 2 years so its time I started again. I still have plenty of time as I never used to put them in until the first/second week of october with my garlic :) I must confess I did get a very good crop from my winter varietys.

The_Snail

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2005, 17:54:27 »
No worries snail, I should add that I am a beginner and green as grass ;) I'm trying to keep up with the old boys who grow 2000 varieties of brassica (esp. caulis) all year round and throw most of them in the compost heap when they get leggy ??? Can't grumble, I don't grow caulis and some end up in my pot ;D

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2005, 18:50:36 »
Its never to late!!!!!  Starting out this spring for the first time I bought some cheap rather dry garlic..in April!!!  I know why now but still  got 80% success and some nice cloves.  Onions went in at the same time and got loads.

This year.  Got some sets in the garage but waiting to clear space.  Never fear, they'll still grow this year!    ;D
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

the_snail

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2005, 21:21:22 »
Sprout my idea about growing cabages is grow as much as you can eat over a year or season. That way you are not wasting time tending something that you will not eat, also you are saving money on seed because you can store the seeds that are left in the fridge and they will keep for 7 years atleast :)

Good luck with your spring cabages by the way :)

Posted by: Icyberjunkie

Its never to late!!!!!  Starting out this spring for the first time I bought some cheap rather dry garlic..in April!!!  I know why now but still  got 80% success and some nice cloves.

I started mine off in pots this year as it was cold and wet, the soil was water logged. Put them in rather late. The garlic have come out of the ground with no skin on them just cloves. Naked Garlic :o So the plan of action now is to put those cloves back into the ground in October and see if doing it that way we get a better crop. If it does not work then I have not lost anything apart from a bit of space on the plot. Nothing ventured nothing gained!

The_Snail

the_snail

• Hectare
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2005, 21:27:22 »
Ok I got myself 100 sunshyu Yellow winter onion sets and 50 Red ones. (Never grown red onions over winter ::)) So Maybe this week or next I will pop down and plant them in. I will keep you informed on this thread on how they do and how they crop :)

The_Snail

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2005, 13:11:29 »
Ooh s_s I didn't know not to plant red onions over winter and they are sprouting merrily!  ;D all tender and greeen and waiting for the first frost  :'( Will have to keep fingers x'd and hoped for the best, perhaps with the help of Straw! Good luck with your little 'uns over the winter ::)

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2005, 13:44:24 »
I am getting more than a little concerned with my garlic and onion order from Dobies. The order was placed in the first week of September and I have called 3 times so far to chase it up. 10 days ago they said they were about to ship, today they said they should ship early next week.

I am not sure I believe them!

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2005, 14:12:52 »
I haven't ordered any garlic or onions yet, think it is the mild weather making me think it is ealier in the year than it is!!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2005, 15:13:04 »
I ordered some Japanese onion sets and shallots from Kings which haven't come yet, but I am not concerned as I usually put the onion sets in in November and the garlic.  They are usually ready about June, - we had a bumper crop this year I am pleased to say, so I must be doing something right.  :) busy_lizzie 
live your days not count your years

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2005, 18:45:19 »
wardy and sanders-how many times have you heard the phrase'the garlic's in the post??'
yes-well..there you are! ;D
sprout-i dont know what the difference is between the onions you plant in the spring-ish and the ones that are available to plant now to over winter......(someone here will know)but if you bought them recently even tho they are sprouting and not in the soil yet i think they'll be ok!

doris!get yert skates on gal!its unseasonably mild here-but raining cats and dogs as i type-and nothing seems to be really dieing as early as it usually does.....
they do say it'll be a hard winter tho-so-winter draws on! ;D
(that goes for you too wardy!)
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2005, 19:41:41 »
Hooray, the senshyu onion sets from Dobies arrived today!  ;D It says plant from Sept-November on the labels, so I can relaaax and think where on earth they will fit. Onion borders anyone? :P

the_snail

• Hectare
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2005, 21:18:26 »
Get digging supersprout  ;D

I am going to put mine on an old spud bed. I think.

The_Snail

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2005, 22:57:45 »
I grew red onions over winter last year, and they did wonderfully, altho they didn't store for as long as the whites.   I know japanese onions do not store because of the high water content, but I do okay and have my last one yet to use!  ;D

Still waiting for my onions and garlic to come from Dobies, but picked up a pack for a couple of quid in our local nursery on Tuesday.  Will get them in on Friday...tis better than nothing!

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2005, 12:07:30 »
My onion sets came this morning, so  I am all ready to go.  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2005, 15:57:43 »
great! ;D
glad to hear everyones 'gone to seed'!
now-get planting people!

wardy-you could always put the cleaning kits in their rooms and call it a d.i.y.b&B.....o....ah...thats home  isnt it?!hahah! ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2005, 16:44:43 »
Kitty - do you know of anywhere round here that sells winter onion sets - I have as yet been unable to find any although I have not tried Whisby yet.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal