Author Topic: Preparing an asparagus bed  (Read 2056 times)

Dominique

• Not So New ...
Preparing an asparagus bed
« on: November 12, 2005, 20:54:37 »
I'd like to grow asparagus at some stage but the books say  'get rid of all perennial weeds first'. Ha!  Can visualise the end  of the couch  :) (one day - soon...ish)  but the horsestail and bindweed ?   Not too hopeful.
Is it still worth trying or is it a 'No No!!!!' ? (I'm asking because crowns are more expensive than a packet of seeds.)  Also have just 'inherited' (i.e. daughter no.1 gave up!) a  half-plot, this one riddled with nettles and docks ...  and just  the odd horsetail (or 2...).  Would it be a better bet, as perennial weeds go? 
 ???
D

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: Preparing an asparagus bed
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 10:03:32 »
I would definitely get the perennial weeds out if you can, or use the area with fewer.
You could spray with Roundup - I know its not organic, and I don't use it now on cropping areas, only did at the start, but is one of the weedkillers that doesn't persist in the soil. It's so hard to weed asparagus beds after the event - you really do need to prepare well beforehand to avoid disturbing them once in.
When I did my asparagus bed, because I'm on heavy clay, I dug in loads of sand - play sand, not builders sand - and it has made such a difference in that area. I get good crops, and the others on our site struggle where they haven't.

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 17:34:39 »
I'd agree with that.   Asparagus beds will last getting on for 20 years (commercial beds much less) so the effort to get rid of perrenial weeds now definately pays off.  Once the crowns are established they have extensive fleshy roots about 5" down and so you can't dig deeply to clear the weeds at that point.  Even 'normal' weeds are a pain as you have to clear in among the stems.

The presence of perennials is not a show stopper so don't give up on asparagus - I for one think its well worth the effort but your second option of the half plot sounds like a easier option ;D

Iain

Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

Dominique

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 20:10:43 »
Thanks  very much  for your replies and advice, the half-plot it is then.  I will give it a go but it may have to wait until next year.  Still, worth waiting for! 
BTW, would it be worth starting them from seed then since I'm 'losing' a year?  (Sorry, yet another question...)
D

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 21:26:35 »
I think it probably would because I think the crowns you buy are 1 year old.  If you use the search button under the 'ALL' in the forum title there is a thread somewhere on that.

Iain
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

Dominique

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 22:28:33 »
I think it probably would because I think the crowns you buy are 1 year old.  If you use the search button under the 'ALL' in the forum title there is a thread somewhere on that.

Iain
Thanks, will do.
D

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 01:53:51 »
My experience with asparagus is that you need to leave it for atleast 2-3 years with out major cropping to get a really strong crown. I dont grow asparagus as we do not really eat alot of it.

The_Snail
Be kind to slugs and snails!

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 18:33:25 »
<smug look>  inherited my 30' of mature asparagus bed.    ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal