Author Topic: BBC Allotment programmes  (Read 9556 times)

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
Re: BBC Allotment programmes
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2005, 11:10:03 »

Granny_Smith

• Half Acre
  • Of course its me - who else could look like this ?
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2005, 13:12:23 »
Ahhh that brought back memories. Two good 'ol boys on that thread - Merv and Hugh. Has anyone got any up to date info on them ?
Granny is still your best friend !

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2005, 13:27:59 »
On 'The Allotment Movement ' board there is a thread called 'Bowing Out' which I think is a very sad one but probably explains why Merv doesn't post any more.  I feel really sad having just read it again.

Sarah-b

• Acre
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2005, 13:47:32 »
Think Hugh has gone off in a huff. Which is a shame cos he was a real character and had lots of good advice and a sense of humour too.
Come back Hugh if you are spying on us.

Sarah.

watson

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2005, 01:19:52 »
The BBC might not think allotments have a wide appeal but ITV produced a 15 half hour series on allotments which followed a new plot holder through her first year, helped by an experienced neighbour and it visited lots of experienced allotmenteers for their wisdom. Loads of info, many interesting characters and insight into sheds. Maybe the BBC missed a trick?  I got it on DVD through www.allotment.info
I think it is great to watch!

Watsonhttp://

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2005, 08:27:56 »
Hello Watson

I've got that DVD and I really enjoy putting my feet up to watch it.  It's very relaxing but helpful to new allotmenteers.  I like the fact that you can watch short snippets when you feel like it.  I'm doing that carboard, manure, potato thing which they featured.  I'll report back on the results later in the year. 

Wardy  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2005, 20:01:37 »
I sometimes wonder if this is a class issue. Most people who call the shots in the media have little appreciation for working class culture, hence country houses get millions of lottery money spent on them and adoring TV programmes made on them, allotments have been struggling for years and are only now at the 11th hour getting a bit of attention.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2005, 10:29:25 »
This is probably way too imaginary to make sense, but something to think about any how; People with allotments/gardens and video cameras might like to capture their own efforts and practical demo's of their methods, put them on CD and eventually lump them all together. If there's enough good stuff on them maybe the BBC would like to buy it...!

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2005, 14:11:30 »

Good idea Kenkew!!

That way it would have more than a touch of reality.

Debs ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal