Author Topic: hellebores  (Read 2223 times)

wattapain

• Half Acre
hellebores
« on: April 25, 2005, 16:25:40 »
Anyone have any tips on collecting seeds & sowing 'n' growing these?
I have quite a few in the garden, but I really love the purple ones and the speckled ones. There are lots of seed heads atthe moment - not dry yet but I believe they're tricky to grow - did try a few years ago but no success - any ideas or tips?
Terri  :)

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: hellebores
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 17:04:20 »
Not sure about being tricky, I spend hours weeding them out form where they self sow round the parent plant. However, one important consideration is that the seeds do germinate better if sown straight away rather than kept until Spring. So as soon as the pods begin to split, collect and sow in a standard compost and place the pots somewhere protected from animals and birds and feet and leave outside until next Spring when you see the new leaves appearing on your Hellebores. Then bring the seed pots into the g/house or wherever. P-rick out when the true leaves are formed.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 17:53:25 »
Hi Terri.  I was going to ask the same thing as I have wonderful seed heads on my hellebores this year.  So thank you to Eric for the advice.   :)

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 19:22:13 »
The seeds I grew took 4 years to produce a plant big enough to flower, but well Worth it 'cos you never know what colour you are going to get, I had more success with the plants I put in long toms, so the roots must like more space, they flowered first, and looked better plants. Sow the seed as it emerges, and it nearly all germinates. Potting up the self sown plants worked too. And at £8.00 each for the fancy ones it's worth it.

Brian

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 18:30:24 »
I've never grown them from seed but I do know that when they are they wont necessarily have the same colour flowers as the parent plant.

MM

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 07:21:13 »
i was going to let mine self seed but after your advice P i'll try to collect it instead :)
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 10:37:26 »
I've had great success with sowing straight away

In any old compost just covered with same and kept moist and shady (I stick mine under some shrubs

If you pot on into 3" or so pots in the Autumn and plant out the following Spring they can flower 2 years after sowing

Phil

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 10:11:11 »
A couple of years ago i let mine set seed and got loads of seedlings  the following year. These i dug up, potting some on and the rest 'lined out' in a nursery bed. The potted ones are now ready to plant out in final positions.

I think its one of those situations where letting nature do the work is by far the best way to go, providing you have the space to allow this to happen (I fortunately have a graveled are below my helebores where most of the seeds fell making an ideal seed bed).

Good Luck

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal