Author Topic: Running the site  (Read 12801 times)

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
Re: Running the site
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2003, 23:24:40 »
Hey Dan OZZY`S suggestion is brilliant !!!!! i am sure they would jump at the chance.Seed catalogues also sound a good idea go for it please  8).we cannot let this site go. :)  cheers Rosebud.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »

Ragged Robin

• Acre
  • Slugs and snails .....be afraid.... be very afraid
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2003, 23:51:45 »
    Didn't think I'd ever say this ....... Ozzy makes sense ............ So I agree with him and those who have gone before me.

This site is fun and informative and shouldn't be lost

Perhaps we could charge for tickets to the panto?!
Happy gardening, Robin x

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2003, 00:29:25 »
Tim,
I happily pay to join stuff like HDRA and more than happy to pay some sort of subs - I would have to send cheque or PO as........I do not have a card (lessons learned). I also think that there are a number of sponsership options but they might take a fair bit of admin (I know nothing about internet but i do know bits about  fundraising!!) I was having a look at the YaBB site as well and it seems to be a fairly simple set up - have you thought about a bit of  volunteer working - I don't thinkit would be at all difficult to have fall backs if you want a break from moderating. Might be worth seeing if anyone else interested in downloading the BB operating stuff. Might be talking rubbish but I spend a bit of time making music with my son, in Manchester - we use hubs and something called CuteFTP (I think) - i am sure you know all this and i am just being really longwinded about saying we will support you and this site how ever we can.
cheers, suzy

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2003, 00:41:18 »
Interesting thoughts - reading through them I would like to say that I am in no way intending to force anyone to pay, or restrict access to anyone who doesn't pay.

Sponsorship / low key advertising is obviously the best option – however …

At the moment I have no problem with people passing on details of sites that sell seeds, posting seed swaps or pretty much anything else - I hope everyone will agree!

I am not sure how a seed supplier would react however to having another supplier plugged for free in a discussion - I'm not saying there would definitely be a problem, but it's just something to think about.

Tim asked what sort of money we are talking – last month the cost was £60, this will rise as the site becomes more popular – which I hope it does.

I have started this thread to ask members opinions as I like to think of the site as a community – I may run the site, but am by no means an ogre (well I don’t think so) – and want all your opinions and thoughts.

Finally, thanks for the offers of help with administration -  I may well take you up on them!
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:12 by -1 »

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2003, 00:44:57 »
I love this site!  :D  I know you have all said it, but I am going to say it again!  I love this site!!  So, on that note, I would be happy to pay or donate, and wouldn't worry about adverts, they pop up on several other sites I use, and to be honest, I don't even notice them now.  I am sure whatever you decide Dan, we are all behind you 110% !   ;D

MagpieDi

• Hectare
  • Oh to be as wise..... !!!
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2003, 00:48:53 »
I too am happy to pay a sub...........whatever it costs......gotta be better value than the TV licence!!!  ::)  ;D

Sponsorship too........whatever it takes Dan !!
Gardening on a wing and a prayer!!

Ozzy_aka_Pothead

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2003, 01:31:44 »
Yo Dan and Comrades

On a pyschological level this site rocks big time and the potential to make Dan dead rich like, as advertisers love this sort of thing and it is within the grasp of us as a group... I knew there wuz areason for the dead good experiment..::)  

Why does this site rock?

cuz we as such a diverse and accepting group can and do make a difference...plus peeps out there like to sell things to peeps like us, and they would like peeps like us to buy from peeps like them.

how many times do we come here and have a good old chuckle? me? never ::)

but what I am suggesting is that we write to gardening mags teling them what a groove this site is, and believe me when they see this place .. they will be falling over themselves to sponsor this site... but thats only my opinion whuch is based on the fact that you lot are right loons ::)

losing the plot now so babble alertio

oZzY %)
xxx

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2003, 09:37:42 »
Suzy -  you have me on the brain? Exciting!!

And Dan, take me up on my offer to tide things over? = Tim

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2003, 10:59:33 »
Tim and everyone else ...

The site is not going to disappear - I am just mindfull of the fact that very soon the running costs are going to approach about £1000 per year, I am trying to plan ahead !

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2003, 11:01:28 »
what about an advertising directory for suppliers? works on other forums i visit and we still get to recommend suppliers on the boards...

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2003, 11:11:40 »
I don't mind any of the suggestions, would hate to loose my homepage! Cheers me up every day and is the first thing I look at when I log on!
If I can be of any service to help with whatever to keep the site running, let me know.thanks for this great site Dan. Dottie P.
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

mysticmog

• Acre
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2003, 12:44:14 »
I agree re: seed companies - what about doing some sort of deal with HRDA - we take on oldey worldey seeds and they get exposure....

Why not do both, bit of donating, bit of blatant advertising.  You could always link up to other gardening type sites and get them to pay you on a hit rate....

M xx
Peas xx

lotech

• Chips seem to appear in everything I do
    • Manchester Business Resources
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2003, 13:13:23 »
My first post...and its about Internet sites not allotments. I have just taken one on to get away from all this !!

Dan , at 50 ,  I run a one man internet company , I design sites , market sites and run my own web server.

I have established a number of Bulletin boards, including one that has had 72,000 posts in a year. ( I am not sure how this compares with yours but you seem to have about 6000 topics - not sure about the posts ) This board costs me nothing as my bandwidth is already paid for in my business use of my web server, but I know it only uses less than 2Gig of bandwidth a month. I dont know what yours is using but you may wish to compare.

Did you say it is hosted by Easily - what are they charging you for bandwidth ? They seem to be an established company that sells initial stuff at a low cost and then extras cost more.

Also , this forum software is easy to use but may be more bandwidth hungry than other in more common use. I use PHPBB which is very good and stable.

I have suddenly realised that this is all very techie and I should really perhaps reserve much more of my thoughts to a private message/email with you. Let me know if you would like a few more observations.

As regards advertising, I would be tempted to contact the seed suppliers, magazines etc marketing departments and invite them to tender for a prime banner advert - you might be surprised at what they would offer . One offer could also be used to negotiate a better price from the others. ( I would also ring a few gardening magazines and check out the cost of some adverts by your target companies to see what they are spending on traditional marketing methods. )

getting people to pay for subscription to your site /forum would be difficult and whilst some existing members would pay, other new visitors would be less likely.

I think the answer lies in looking at your existing costs and looking for ways to reduce it either by changing hosting company and/or forum software. Then look at bandwidth saving ideas such as limiting avatar size, compression etc.Then the next step would be getting some discreet advertising from the appropiate companies and encouraging forum users to click through these ads so they can see a return for their investment.

Let me know if I can help more.

Oh yes, i got my first allotment last week........http://www.stocktons.org.uk/allotment.html

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2003, 14:27:56 »
- what a mine of info at the drop of a hat!! = Tim

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2003, 15:06:35 »
WOW, Lotech!!!! And may your allotment prosper, your crops never suffer from blight, beasties both crawling or airborne or any other ills known to beset the veg. gardener. Great info here - do hope that Dan can find his way through the probs of being too successful :)

I'd not flagged this topic, tho, so didn't know of your post and came on with a thought...ex-food/gardening board Beebies will know of NiceBites, a board set up by a husband&wife team - all the stalwart Beeb Foodies decamped en masse at the time..Cleo is a mover & shaker there..from modest beginnings they are now a BIG and successful Forum and still growing!!!

So I wondered, Dan...could you check it out & then perhaps ask them how they manage their finances, or could Stephan/Cleo ask on your behalf?

NiceBites is a great site! For any of you who don't know it, worth checking out. Lishka

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2003, 20:58:23 »
- yes - Sylvie - great girl!! = Tim

Beer_Belly

• Acre
  • English bloke in Holland
    • ToadRunners Blog
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2003, 10:40:31 »
methinks lotech is in fact not low tech ?

Sounds like a techie like me to me  ;)

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2003, 02:04:49 »
At the risk of stirring up the more somnolent members of this site, Dan, it must surely be a matter of concern that out of a total membership of 395 your vote counter indicates that only 20 people have voted at all, and they are the ones (presumably) who have contributed to this thread.

While I know that you don`t wish to wave the big stick at anyone, might it not be a good idea to send each of the non-participating members a personal message (or even an email) suggesting that they take an interest in this particular subject?

MagpieDi

• Hectare
  • Oh to be as wise..... !!!
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2003, 02:45:16 »
I'll second that proposition !
Gardening on a wing and a prayer!!

ciderself

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2003, 12:56:28 »
Sorry its taken so long to 'join' in - been hibernating.
I agree with Ozzy on this one
Even though we would happily contribute  - any benefit could be outweighed by yet more administration costs.
Surely - with the number of daily ( and nightly) hits any suppliers of gardening merchandise would jump at the chance of sponsoring this site and Dan you might even be  able to show some return for all your hard work.

All the very best of luck
Susan

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal