General > News

Running the site

(1/10) > >>

Admin aka Dan:
Hi All,

I'm in a bit of a pickle ....

The financial costs of hosting the site are growing, and I'm considering the best way of dealing with it.

I do not want to charge for any kind of membership, that is not fair - I want the site to be a free resource.

I also do not want intrusive advertising - pop up windows, adverts with sound, scrolling and all that.  It is annoying, and slows the site down - and hopefully it zips along most of the time - even on non broadband connections.

This leaves me with two options.

I can either try to get some unobtrusive advertising / sponsorship from a friendly company (any suggestions welcome).

Or

Place a PayPal button on the site in the hope that people will donate an amount to help with the costs.

I would be interested in hearing peoples opinions - don't hold back!

Cheers

Dan

tim:
- shame, isn't it? - don't know the finer points, but I would happily offer £50 a year.  Better than TV! But I may not live that long? - Tim

Admin aka Dan:
Tim - very generous - bit more than I was thinking about !

rdak:
I don't mind making a donation. Dread to think what I would have paid in books by now and still not got the amount of knowledge I have from this site.
Am very against prominent advertisements

Dan -is there any backup for running this site? I was just thinking if you left for whatever reason (long holiday,hospital etc) would the site still be able to keep going?
thanks for all the hard work

rosebud:
Hi Dan i do not know what to say .i would want to donate BUT my husband does not like the idea of me usingthe card on the net dead against it  :-[.so it looks like i shall have to eat humble pie and eventually go back to whence i came the boring beebie board. :'(.
I will keep my fingers crossed you will find an advertiser
very soon. :)   I do wish you all the best with this.I am sure you did not think it would take off in such a big way but once we found out on the beeb board how good this was WELL WOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWE ::) ;D :D.You do a fantastic job hope it sorts out very soon good luck Rosebud.

::) ::)   ;D ;D ;D   :D :) :D.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version