Author Topic: Greenhouse Shading  (Read 9665 times)

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
Re: Greenhouse Shading
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2005, 15:56:41 »
Richard,

I use an old white sheet to cover part of the g/house. I secure it with clothes pegs to the Al. frame -bulldog clips would be stronger.

Otherwise shading paint -comes off with a sponge and soapy water.

All this taking off and putting back on doesn't work if you do :) ,although I'll sometimes take the sheet off if the weather's going to be bad.

Jeremy

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2005, 17:05:56 »
For those who do want a material covering:
http://www.simplycontrol.com/catalogue/shading/default.asp

And you don't have to do the on-off thing - it's just that I'm a firm believer - in this country - of maximum light.

A nice bit of theory in the Aluminet  article here:
http://www.igcusa.com/greenhouse-shade-cloth.html

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2005, 23:51:59 »
Always done it that way Richard and have never had any complaints.  You do what you can, what you can afford, and what works, and it works a treat for me. ;D

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2005, 22:10:01 »
Nice idea that MT. Might try it. However i hope you dont mean drilling the GH frame?

Why not? Extruded ally is very strong as is timber framing

SEDUM

• Not So New ...
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2005, 23:29:14 »
I use an old bamboo blind we no longer use, and have in the past used those beach type grass mats, they work too!

I do the same as you!  I have four old IKEA split-bamboo blinds fitted to the outside of the greenhouse.  They are infinitely adjustable and have lasted for years.

Art

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2005, 18:46:18 »
Just sorted out the shading. Got some netting and some special clips for aluminium greenhouses. Easy fixing  too. Sorted.  :)

Thanks for the advice

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2005, 15:40:28 »
Well here's a strange one - never noticed it before.

The vents on the north side were fully open this am - those on the south side, with plastic shading over them, were barely cracked.

So, the shading is obviously doing something, but I'd rather have the ventilation!!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2005, 16:20:33 »
I don't put the shading over my vents, (I use old bamboo blinds) because the weight of the blinds stops my vent opening!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2005, 17:00:10 »
With you on that - but, in our case, it was the openers being shaded that limited their operation.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2005, 17:13:47 »
What a nuisance!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2005, 18:37:40 »
But interesting??

weedgrower

• Half Acre
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2005, 22:35:23 »
there is a product called coolglass that works very well for your problem and it mis fairly easy to remove
takes over your life doesn't it

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2005, 23:44:04 »
Tim, you say the 'shaded' vent wasnt opening much but do you have any idea what the temperature was at the time inside the house? The fact that the vent and opener were shaded might lure one into a false impression that the greenhouse was getting cooled enough. ie the greenhouse might have been cooler if BOTH had been open  ???

I find even with shading its the louvres, vents and door which do the most work keeping the 'house cool. My shading seems to mainly cut out the strong sunlight (which we all know can damage plants terribly), with the secondary effect of reducing the temperature a bit. 

On warm sunny mornings the inside temperature can get up to the high 30s C if not higher, before i can get out there to open the door.

Just something i have observed...... :-\

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2005, 06:32:24 »
I'm with you on the purpose of shading, Richard - I only keep mine on for 3-4 hours a day. I want all the light I can get.
Just checked yesterday's max - in the coolest part, at ground level - 92F. Too hot!!

This opener observation highlights a regular feature - that the north vents always open before the southern. I've just extended the range of the latter to compensate.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2005, 12:41:43 »
Thing is with my greenhouse, I have one vent (north facing) and one louvre in a 6' x5'  space. I thought this was enough - maybe I need a second vent in the opposite side?

Yesterday even with everything open (and shading on) the temperature in there reached 42 C !

steves.no1

• Not So New ...
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2005, 20:39:31 »
hi
i went to B&Q today and they have shading that you mix with water and you can paint it or spray it on & when you don't need any more you just wipe if off with a duster its about £5/7 thinking of getting some for myself ?

steve

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2005, 11:45:20 »
hi
i went to B&Q today and they have shading that you mix with water and you can paint it or spray it on & when you don't need any more you just wipe if off with a duster its about £5/7 thinking of getting some for myself ?

steve

Good idea. Go for it. Was thinking of using it myself until I went for netting instead. Might still get some actualy as the netting only covers one side of the 'house. Shade paint might be an option for the rest.

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2005, 23:10:13 »
On the basis that they are always a b*gger to get out when you want to replace a pane, a few extra strategically placed glazing clips should provide sufficient anchorage to tie lightweight netting or fleece to.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal