Author Topic: Oh I'm so proud  (Read 1951 times)

Lazybones

• Half Acre
Oh I'm so proud
« on: May 07, 2005, 14:18:48 »
The first egg this morning from one of the chickens.  I'm pathetically happy  ;D
Now, just have to work out a way of dividing it between 3 people.....

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re: Oh I'm so proud
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 14:35:45 »
Scrambled?! ;D Lucky you! *wishful sigh* wish I could keep chooks.
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 17:53:15 »
Envy here as well!  I've always wanted to keep hens (sighs and youthful memories) but strictly no livestock on our allotments - except of course the rats, mice, cats, magpies, crows, seagulls etc etc :(  Come to think of it - wouldn't be a very safe place for the poor chooks after all ............
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 17:53:54 »
Eggcelent!!!

It is great isn't it!! We all had home grown poached eggs on toast this morning for breakfast, yum!

Jerry

Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2005, 18:01:33 »
One tip I found out when I kept hens was that very fresh eggs are really hard to get out of the shells as a boiled egg! I know it's not a major scientific finding, but it used to annoy me that the egg white seemed glued to the shell, just wait a few days and they are fine. Just shows how "fresh" they are in the supermarket, that I only found out by keeping my own hens.

Brian

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005, 18:53:53 »
Congrats LB.  Must have been a lovely feeling to pick that lovely warm just laid egg, up.  Can understand why you are so thrilled.   We are preparing our area but won't get our hens until the Spring probably. Have got my strawberry plants growing there and they are flowering so too late to move.  :) busy_lizzie 
live your days not count your years

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2005, 19:25:47 »
Congrats on your first egg.   :)You must be so proud. Did you thank you chook?  I had fresh scrambled eggs this morning courtesy of my neighbour's hens.  I notice the shells are thinner than supermarket ones.
I came, I saw, I composted

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2005, 09:35:05 »
Dear Wardy,
I used to give my hens oyster shell grit in a small hopper they could help themselves to. Still got the odd thin one though
Brian

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2005, 21:21:07 »
GA   I read these days when looking for chooks in the small ads ( ;D) that they use "fed on no grit or shell" as some kind of virtue.  I don't understand.  I thought grit and shell for chooks was needed for their wellbeing.  Or is it just to harden the eggshells

Yours in ignorance

Wardy
I came, I saw, I composted

Lazybones

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2005, 09:14:04 »
Well in the end we just had them (yes - it wasn't a one off, she did lay another one on Sunday) fried on toast - and beautiful they were too.  ;D

Amazingly yellow yolks so feeding chooks greens did work and they stayed perfectly formed in the pan and hardly spread at all.

Didn't know I could speak so proudly about eggs.  ;D

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2005, 15:54:07 »
Nice one lazybones. We keep Chooks you can do some great barterring with half dozen freerange. A good website for chookkeepers is the river cottage site.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2005, 16:27:56 »
I can see why you're so eggcited!  ;)

I want chooks!
gone to pot :D

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2005, 17:36:52 »
Dear Wardy,
I thought the oyster shell grit provided calcium minerals to make the eggs stronger, and the birds need grit in the crop to help digestion, so can't think why "no shell & grit" is a virtue.

Brian

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2005, 18:58:16 »
ive wanted hens for ages but now i have gotten a few i have 7 silkies 11 marran chicks about 8 weeks old 10 brown hens  ex battery hens oh ye and five 4 week old chicksi hatched out  up here in my attic in my  home made 10 quid incubator so i think i better stop wanting  hens now i think
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal