Author Topic: problem growing summer savoury  (Read 1619 times)

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
problem growing summer savoury
« on: April 25, 2005, 15:13:36 »
Hi all, :D
           I am trying to grow summer savoury as it is recommended as a companion plant to  beans, however  from 2 sowings all I have managed to raise are some pathetic spindly seedlings that  are looking totally useless ??? They have been sown in good seed compost & have been in a propagator & then moved to a poly thene green house , any suggestions ???  The seeds came from the organic gardening catalogue and are fresh this year.

Adrian.

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
Re: problem growing summer savoury
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 15:24:49 »
i am growing winter savory - same story. it does say to sow them outdoors - and i am wondering if they should really have been sown in something like root trainers or loopaper rolls, to enable them to sink deep roots?
mine where pr i cked out into modules and are still small. but, they are steadily gorwing. so will pot them into something deeper, and then they can go out next month into their allocated spots.

btw, savory is super! you will not regret growing it, and cooking/eating it with beans.
it's not for nothing that this is called 'the bean herb' in germany :)

good luck to us both
svea
« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 15:31:37 by Svea »
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 15:28:13 »
I bought a winter savoury plant last summer. It's looking a bit spindly now.

Svea - can you cook winter savoury with beans too? I know summer one is an annual, but are they the same overwise?

Adrian - maybe more light, less heat?
gone to pot :D

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 15:32:32 »
yes, aqui, the taste is a little stronger on the winter variety. and yes, the winter is perennial rather than annual - hopefully i will on;y have to grow this thing once from seed :roll:
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 15:43:44 »
Oh that is good! I keep buying herbs, because I love herb plants, but never know what to do with them!
gone to pot :D

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 21:22:59 »
Have had good results from sowing direct outside (in drills in fine tilth) once the soil was well warmed up (end of mayish). Was slow growing but worth the wait.  :)

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 21:35:33 »
time to sow again?-Summer Savory is such an under-rated herb-will the so and sos around here buy it?

It sounds like you have done nothing wrong but here the weather has been poor to say the least-everything is 2/3 weks behind.

Stephan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal