Author Topic: Scale Insect  (Read 1889 times)

Diana

• Acre
Scale Insect
« on: April 22, 2005, 20:32:07 »
Scale insects - any ideas (pref organic)

Got loads on a Lemon Tree that's never flowered.

Are there any companion plants I can use to help?
Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
Re: Scale Insect
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 22:45:59 »
Any ideas/help here?  http://oisat.org/pests/insect_pests/soft_bodied/scales.html (use the menu at the left of the page).

All best - Gavin

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 23:12:57 »
I got scale in my tiny garden and try as I might I lost plant after plant.  It was terrible.  The local herb garden could only suggest I scrub all the plants with Malathion on a toothbrush to try and get it off the stems.  Repeated attempts failed and I ended up digging up clematis and cistus, bay, etc  It does pay to keep a close eye on these woody plants.  My garden was tiny so maybe hygiene had a part to play and also the plants were so close to each other which allowed the scale insects to spread so quickly

I came, I saw, I composted

Diana

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2005, 09:54:17 »
Thanks Gavin - what a useful site that is!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 23:00:59 »
Grrr, given up growing citrus due to scale.  Blasted horrid little things!  My bay seems to get infected every year, but it wins the battle and is still growing strong....fingers crossed.  My grandad told me the only way to win was to go over every plant absolutely thoroughly and squish them with a toothpick!  Labour of love huh!!!

Diana

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2005, 08:06:15 »
Thanks Emma

I think your Grandad is absolutely right. That's the way I've always delt with it, but now the lemon tree is a bit bigger I was hoping to fine something less tedious.

My bay also gets it every year, but like yours it shakes it off. This year I think the frost has beaten it though :(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal