Author Topic: Mice + bunnies  (Read 2101 times)

Diana

• Acre
Mice + bunnies
« on: April 22, 2005, 20:12:53 »
Lucky old me, never encountered mice + bunnies, but this year...

Moved to new area - mice that can scale 2ft plastic, bunnies clear a 4ft wall from a standing start >:(

Any suggestions?
Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
Re: Mice + bunnies
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 20:34:52 »
You've got me worried now, as I was planning to put a 2ft fence round to stop the bunnies.

MM

Diana

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 20:39:06 »
I've seen very effective 2ft fences for bunny protection - it seems they're just training for the Olympics round here!
Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2005, 10:52:23 »
Get a terrier.

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2005, 13:50:30 »
I don't know about Diana but it wouldn't matter how much of a problem I had with rabbits there is no way I would do anything to hurt them, and that includes getting terrier.

MM

Alimo

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2005, 14:05:19 »
Merlin's Mum - I used to think "how cute" - but after losing so many plants to rabbits I now don't mind that the neighbour shoots them. 

It is so disheartening, I've got a "plants that rabbits don't eat" guide - pah try telling the rabbits that they shouldn't eat azaleas !! 

Anyway - rant over, my husband has erected a 4ft rabbit proof (grief I hope so) fence around my veggie patch, so lets hope they keep off - I have left the rest of the garden for them.

Alimo

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2005, 14:21:32 »
Hi Alimo
Yes I know it's disheartening but it's for us to keep them out, just as you have done.  I'm sorry but I'm one of these soft b****rs and I stand by what I said previously, I couldn't, and I wouldn't want anyone else to on my behalf, hurt them. 

MM

Gadfium

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2005, 14:52:31 »
I'm another softie. Already priced up the wire (right mesh size) and posts, to put up a rabbit-proof fence. Most of the other allotment holders have done the same thing.

I'd rather mosey along without blood-shed. I'm not starving, it's not a survival situation. And, yes, I have in the past, had the choice between hunger and a rabbit... the rabbit got cleaned, skinned, jointed, and went into a makeshift pot.

But if it's a choice between a few vegetables and shooting/trapping - then the rabbits are welcome to them.

Soft as clarts, I am.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal