Author Topic: My taddies are wiggling!!!  (Read 2777 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
My taddies are wiggling!!!
« on: April 14, 2005, 13:13:07 »
 ;D ;D ;D

The pond is swimming with little black wiggly toad-tadpoles. I'm so excited. I've never seen tadpoles develop before.

They aren't going very far, though. I watched some yesterday and they wiggled for a while without actually moving. I'm hoping this is normal!

And I've bought some small fish food as Margaret recommended. Should I be feeding them now? If so - how much and how often?
gone to pot :D

izzy

• Not So New ...
  • frog mad! ^_^
Re: My taddies are wiggling!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 17:57:34 »
i have some little tads myself... i feed them fish flake food about once every 3 days. they are tiny so they only need half a flake and i crush it in my fingers so its smaller.

my tadpoles seem to be stuck to the frogspawn shell after hatching, but soon they break away. so its ok! and when they are young they dont wiggle too much, so dont be worried if one is very still. its probably not dead! but once they get older, they are sort of hyper!

good luck with your tads!
i haven't lost my marbles, i didn't have any to begin with!

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 18:31:58 »
How very sweet !

When I had my pond, I used to feed the tadpoles brown bread  ;) and they would all accumulate around the bits and take nibbles.  They grew very quickly - Nice memories....  :D :D
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 20:52:10 »
Hi Aqualegia.While they are small they will eat algae and plant based food.As they grow they gradually turn carniverous(ooh that makes them sound viciousĀ  :D ) so they will eat ever larger insect life such as daphnia found in any nature pond as the warmer weather comes.You only need to supplement with fish food if you have a lot of tadpoles and you think there will not be enough food to go round.Certainly very sparingly at first.If they go for it straight away then you know they need it but if it gets left then don't worry,as almost any larger creature in your pond,such as snails,beetles,even leeches will chomp on fish food so it won't be wasted.
Margaret

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2005, 20:06:32 »
Aqui,

We have a fish pond here, with goldfish and black ones, not a fish admiror, so that's all I can say about them!  However, just a couple of weeks ago, apologies Margaret please, at the moment can't think of another word!, had loads of noisy, croaking, bonking frogs!

And yes, we put fish food in the pond.  However, if you saw the size of the pond, which is only about 5' x 8', you would not worry about feeding the frogs!  They are there because the environment is right for them.  Now, even at about 7am, the frogs and tads are very quiet.  Remember, they were there before you were, they know how to survive, the fact that they breed there is your contribution!

However, there is lots of shelter for them around the pond and easy steps up to the bog garden and beyond.

Have fun!
Muddy Boots

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal