Author Topic: Aphids on my tulips  (Read 5572 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Aphids on my tulips
« on: April 21, 2005, 11:23:54 »
Very sad.

I discovered far too late that my tulips are smothered in aphids. They must've got in before the plants were even thinking of flowering and I only looked when they weren't flowering to find out why. So only about three flowers this year (from about 60 bulbs) :'(

And my sister had bought me a whole load of fancy ones from holland, only one of which has managed to flower.

Will the plants be ok if I use insecticidal soap? (that is the organic stuff - right?) Is there anything I can do to help the tulips flower next year? (feeding?)

bloody things - there are so many ladybirds in the garden, you'd think they'd take care of them. but no. sigh.
gone to pot :D

westsussexlottie

• Acre
Re: Aphids on my tulips
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 12:26:53 »
I used a mild fairy liquid solution and repeated twice weekly - it cleared them up and I ended up losing only 1 bulb out of 20.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 23:24:08 »
I would remove the flower bud Aqui, squish as many aphids as you can, then give them a good feed.  Are they in pots or in the garden?  If in pots then next spring when they start to grow, don't let them dry.  You don't want them waterlogged, but you want to create good strong growth.  I was thinking that perhaps you should feed them again next spring as they grow, but then this would promote soft lush growth that the aphids thrive on.  Such a shame.  We have an abundance of ladybirds at the moment, just with they would all find their way into the greenhouse as there is a feast awaiting them in there!

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 12:51:24 »
Aaaaagh! Do not use Fairy liquid as an insecticide, it contains chemicals which can damage the plants and friendly insects, as Aqui says, Horticultural soft soap is better. Also if you dig up and dry off your tulips take care, there is a type of aphid which lives between the outer skin of the bulb and the inner and will destroy your stored bulbs.
Non-flowering this year is nothing to do with this years insects, the potential flower is formed in the previous year so the none appearance of flower is more the fault of the supplier than yourself. Unless the flower stem was damaged as it appeared from within the bulb, either by mechanical, insect or animal attack.
Gardening is the great leveller.

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 06:41:50 »
Best thing for aphids is PROPER softsoap and rubarb leaves! :D
Be kind to slugs and snails!

Bun

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 13:35:03 »
Best thing for aphids is PROPER softsoap and rubarb leaves!

Rubarb leaves?  Do tell.  :D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2005, 16:54:15 »
Rhubarb leaves contain poison which zaps the aphids.  It's poisonus to humans as well so you have to be careful as with any insecticide.   :)
I came, I saw, I composted

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2005, 17:43:22 »
Best thing for aphids is PROPER softsoap and rubarb leaves!

Rubarb leaves?  Do tell.  :D

Macerate 1lb chopped leaves to 3 quarts of cold water for 24 hours then spray undiluted.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2005, 17:45:18 by redclanger »
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 22:02:27 »
Sounds great!  does this hurt beneficial insects such as ladybirds?  and would it work on whitefly?
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 07:45:20 »
It should do, it's pretty lethal. The oxalic acid in the rhubarb combines with calcium in the body to form a precipitate which clogs up the kidneys (or equivalent in the case of insects).

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 18:31:13 »
I avoid using it where there are ladybirds or the larva - if only so I do not deprive them of food.  Did half my cabbages with it (I boiled the leaves this time) and then stopped when I saw a ladybird larva.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal