Author Topic: Allotment Play Feedback  (Read 4337 times)

damian5

• I love Allotments 4 All
Allotment Play Feedback
« on: September 30, 2003, 17:55:36 »
I'm researching a play that I want to set on two adjoining allotments somewhere in the north of England. It's going to be set against a backdrop of the recent Gulf War and have two people discussing the war over their allotment fence. I don't know much about allotments and the language used but would welcome any feedback/ideas/scenarios from anyone out there. Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: Allotment Play Feedback
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2003, 18:05:12 »
The only thing I can say about our lottie is, we don't have fences seperating us.  As for the language used, well, on our lottie it tends to be along the lines of...... bl**dy mares tail......sh***y stinging nettles.....and mines bigger than yours (in the nicest possible way of course!)  ;D  Good luck with the play, I don't think I have ever heard of this being done before.

Ceri

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2003, 19:02:51 »
forget the gulf war - use two characters one pro-chemicals, one fiercely organic and let the sparks fly!!

just make sure you set it out so any veg you show are in the right season!

damian5

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2003, 19:37:03 »
Hi cerig

I like the idea of the organic vs. chemical debate. Could you let me know about the kind of oragnic treatments & chemicals used on lotties? Thank you!

Ceri

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2003, 19:41:30 »
v. v. general, organic gardeners will not use any chemically derived product - weedkiller, growth enhancers, chemical slug killers because of both the environmental effect, getting into water supply, affecting the food chain etc.
Organic gardeners will use more natural products - compost, organic fertilizers, encourage natural predators by planting certain flowers etc.  They still kill pests but not chemically e.g. drowning slugs in beer rather than using chemicals that can harm the birds etc. that

Ceri

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2003, 19:42:23 »
sorry, naughty child pinched mouse!  meant to carry on as ...birds that eat the slugs.

this is only tip of iceberg - loads on the net about organic gardening - start with hdra website.

cheers

merv

• Half Acre
  • Umm, just a pinch of.....
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2003, 20:11:26 »
Hiya,  :)

Well now, that does seem a good idea. you could use various vegetables/weeds as a particular slant on any topic.

Eg,. looket them gurt big gourds lolling around, no use to man nor beast.. only when cut open an candle stuck inem do they make a shine on the world.

That there marestail, I do 'ear as it be found down at 't bottom of 't Big Pit Coal Mine shaft and still strangling the life out of the world, like your there globalisation.

And don't you go talking about downsizing..lookit as what as the Cabbage White has done to my Savoys.

And ifn we be talking about reducing the Third World Debt... you can start right here with the Corpie's rent.  Scandal ifn you arsk me!

And if we is talking 'bout wiping out living cultures, look no further that DEFRA's guidlines.

jethro

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2003, 19:39:26 »
Hi Damian5, if you need some research just come to our allotments ;D (durham) you will get more than the gulf war. people up here discuss everything and put the world to rights, and that's before their first cup of coffee ::) usually about 8.30am. I just listen and smirk as some of the debates is quite funny, given that an 84 year old is trying to tell a 18 year old that if it wasn't for him he wouldn't be born :o (still have to fathom that one out). there is at the moment one argument that has lasted 5 years and both men have still not talked to each other since :-X ( must be serious). If i find out what it is about i'll let you know,  it might be what you are looking for ;D.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2003, 02:34:42 »
Jethro, Years ago I had, what I thought was a brilliant story line set at an allotment.  It centred around a recently retired man called "Arthur" He was digging his allotment one day and uncovered the top  of a round cylindrical steel object, which had a funny round bumpy bit in the centre of it.  He had an inkling what it could be, so the next day he rushed to the library and started doing lots and lots of research - in fact his wife hardly ever saw him as he was either at the allotment or in the library.  He had found out that his particular allotment had actually once been on the site of a Roman Fort, and he was sure that what he was now painstakingly uncovering what in fact a Centurians helmet.

He didn't tell anyone what he had discovered, as he wanted to surprise everyone and claim all the credit for himself.  The other allotment members were a rather nosey lot, so he covered his find each night with a bit of tarpawling.  As he worked during the day he went into a series of little daydreams about being on the local or even national Television news, and even claiming a small fortune for his Roman helmet.  He worked very meticulously and gently as he didnt' want to disturb or damage anything so old or historic.  The day dawned and he knew that this would be the day he would unearth all of it.  One last little poke with his trowel, then :o :o :o :o :o the whole thing exploded with blue,red and yellow flames.   :-[ :-[ Yes! Youve' guessed it - it was a world war two unexploded bomb.  Poor Arthur!! :'( :'( Though he did get his five minutes of fame, by appearing on both the National and the Local News.  Sorry it didn't have a happy ending, but I once thought it would go down well on Radio Four's morning story, though never sent it in.  Lizzie.
live your days not count your years

damian5

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2003, 11:55:02 »
Hi Busy Lizzie, that's a great idea for a play. Radio 4 would love it. Write it and send it in.

Thanks to everyone so far for all the amazing feedback on my play. It's given me lots of oragnic, home grown food for thought.

Cheers!

damian5

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2003, 17:05:43 »
Hi everyone in lottie-land!

I'm still researching my play (set on an allotment) and wondered if anyone has experience of the following:

• Keeping pigeons on their lottie
• Dangerous (i.e. poisonous) chemicals/fertilisers/weedkillers etc
* Territorial arguments with 'neighbours'

Don't worry, I'm not trying to portray you as dangerous, war-mongerers. These are just some minor details of the play I want to reference and make sure I get factually correct. Anyone with any experience of the above, please let me know and I can ask them some questions.

Cheers

MissBaritone

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2004, 12:39:40 »
Not sure where you live Damian but there are several lottie holders on our site who keep pigeons, hens ect I would say just go to some lotties and talk to the people there. Most of them are very willing to give help and advice

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal