Author Topic: hooray - birds in my garden!!!  (Read 3721 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
hooray - birds in my garden!!!
« on: April 19, 2005, 16:48:44 »
There were sparrows and robins foraging in my garden!

OK - so that may not sound like something to celebrate, but believe me, it is!

My garden is pretty small and very immature (when we moved in three years ago, it contained a grand total of three plants and not even any lawn), so there's not much cover for them. And as it's set back from our first floor flat, we can only see it when we're in the garden.

Last week, Mr Aqui was sat on the bench reading and say a couple of small brown/grey birds pecking about (sparrows, I told him). And at the weekend when we were taking a well earned break from digging hole number three, a robin fluttered into the hole, picked up something wiggly and flew off. Since then, I've seen several more robins and sparrows in the garden and even a blue tit on the fence.

So that brings the bird count in the garden to a grand total of five (pigeons regularly visit the pond on hot days and a magpie was spotted taking mud from the pond to build it's nest).

:D :D :D
gone to pot :D

caz 406

• Quarter Acre
Re: hooray - birds in my garden!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 16:57:45 »
Hi
I can understand your excitement - we put a bird box up in our tiny garden about three weeks ago and within two days there was a pair of bluetits appeared from nowhere and they have been in and out ever since with twigs and moss. It's a constant source of wonder and joy! We've put up a couple of nets of seed and nuts at the other end of the garden and now have sparrows, bluetits, great-tits and robins all over the place - it's lovely. There's also a pair of blackbirds that must be nesting nearby and they have started coming and ferreting about for grubs and things. I could sit there all day watching them - chance would be a fine thing!
Caz

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 18:10:30 »
Wait til they start to fledge and you'll have to sit all day and watch them as you can't miss a second  :)

Great news about your birds Aqui.  I know what it's like to be on a new housing estate with no trees but lots of noisy power tools.  The first thing I did was not plant a tree (small garden) and some shrubs.  Nesting boxes, bird table and water tray and we soon got innundated  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 19:02:29 »
That's the idea.  Establish your garden as a wildlife area with food, water and shelter and you will see no end of birdies.  We just love them although they cost us a little fortune !  ::)
Well done !  :D
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 10:02:29 »
Wardy - that's the thing, the house isn't even new! It's about 50 years old. The previous owners decided to rip the whole garden out and replaced it with decking and slate chips. YUCK! I've put all the hundreds of plants in myself. It certainly is becoming a wildlife haven now!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2005, 23:05:36 »
Flipping eck Aqui!  I thought you were on a new housing development.  Good on you with all the planting.  You;ll get loads of birds.  I like to plant honeysuckles and lots of stuff that is fragrant in the evening and then put on an outside light and wait for the bats  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

maz

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2005, 23:57:18 »
I put a box up a few years ago but it seems its only this year that theres been any interest.

I had 2 bluetits checking it out for two days but they seem to have gone again.  :-\   

Any ideas what I can do to encourage them back?  ???
A friend is someone who thinks you are a good egg,
even though you are slightly cracked.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2005, 09:32:12 »
Maz - where is the box situated? Bird boxes need to be on a north-facing wall (so they keep cool) and the birds prefer a bit of cover around them (like some climbing plants - ivy, climbing hydranger). Also make sure there is lots of food and water available for them. Bluetits like (I think) peanuts, aphids, small insects, etc.

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2005, 20:43:04 »
Maz - What a pretty avatar you have got !  :)

maz

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2005, 23:23:00 »
Hello aquilegia, thanks for the info. It high up on a very sheltered wall. They did check it out for a couple of days so I dont think its the position thats the prob but theres no cover. Perhaps thats why they have gone then. I'll look into making it a liitle less obvious.

BTW it was the day of the royal wedding when they moved in so I called them Charles and Camilla cos they were a couple just setting up home together. The fact that they were tits didnt influence me at all.  ::)  ;D

Marianne, its maz monroe.  ;)  Ive got a million of them.  ::)  Shes hardly dressed for allotment gardening though is she?  ;D

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2005, 18:41:27 »
Oh do you mean Marilyn Monroe????  ;D  As you say, not at all dressed to go gardening but she is soooooo pretty !  :D ;)

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2005, 10:01:25 »
I like to plant honeysuckles and lots of stuff that is fragrant in the evening and then put on an outside light and wait for the bats :)

Wardy are the bats attracted by honeysuckle? :-\
I ask as i have lots of honeysuckle and during summer evenings i get lots of bats too.
So is it the honeysuckle that attracts them?

Your post has made me wonder.

Maz are the tits not even hanging out in the garden anymore?
We have a pair that i was really hoping would nest as they are always here, almost all day long.
I have a box but as far as i know its not even been checked out.
Usually they nest at the house opposite me, which is good for me as i have a great view of the comings and goings, but now a big extension is going up right next to my neighbours house, so i was hoping that the blue tits would find the noise and disturbance too much come and lodge with me for a while, ;D but no such luck yet.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 10:10:09 by honeybee »

maz

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2005, 12:27:16 »
No Honeybee they seem to have gone. Infact I cant see a single bird at the mo. Ive had blackbirds, sparrows and others I cant name but not seen any of them for a few days now.  :'(

Next door but 1 have just got a new cat and hes out and about all the time, maybe thats whats frightened them all off.  :(

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2005, 12:57:29 »
Honeybee - the honeysuckle attracts moths, which in turn attract the bats. (I think!) I have the honeysuckle, but no bats in my area.

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2005, 14:09:39 »
Ahhh i see, thanks Aquilega  :)

Maz if youve got no birdies, you can lend my blackbird for a few days.
As much as i love him, he sits on the apex on the top of my roof~right above my bedroom window and sings his little heart out EVERY morning starting from about 3.30-4.00am. :o  :-X

He has a beautiful song and sings all day long and i love to hear him, but not that early thankyou very much Mr B .

When hes singing, i make tunes in my head and so i start humming the words to his music. ::)

So lying in bed in the very early hours i am singing with him, he sings.....

"I'm a barbie girl"  ::)
and
"Red army, red army"

Then he trills like an old trill phone.......oh save me someone, i need some sleep  :-X

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal