Author Topic: Sweetcorn question  (Read 15591 times)

shedifice

• Not So New ...
Re: Sweetcorn question
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2005, 18:12:14 »
Cheers Charlie, I am going to put some seeds in tomorrow I think.

I also did a search today and found that Native indians would grow squash in between corn to ward off racoons and the like because of the spikey leaves.

L.

westsussexlottie

• Acre
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2005, 20:25:45 »
Don't have raccoons down here - perhaps it will work on the birds.....

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2005, 20:41:17 »
if you dont have raccoons,it obviously worked! ::) ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

westsussexlottie

• Acre
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2005, 20:44:30 »
Must have scared them off really well.... or maybe it was our 8 ft high scarecrow that did it....

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2005, 20:52:58 »
You can also grow climbing beans up the sweetcorn plants

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2005, 01:24:43 »
Last year was my first for corn too - planted 30 in a block closer than recommended (I did less than 12" each way) but no interplanting as I believe the native americans only did that to conserve moisture in the shade provided by the tall corns.  Most of our plants are nowhere near as high as the ones they grew so I didn't risk growing peas etc up them.  Anyway I gave them loads of water during the growing season and had great success - 30 ( 6 x 5) plants in a small space each providing at least 2 to 3 cobs. 

This years lot (45) are in the g'house coming along nicely thank you (fingers crossed, fingers crossed!!)
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

supernan

• Half Acre
  • Chief mushroom compost digger, Bud
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2005, 06:50:21 »
Hi 'n ty guys just realised I have forgotten to start mine. They won't grow in the packet will they LOL
Supernan!!

mhcl03312

« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2005, 07:08:26 »
I am growing sweet corn for the first time this year. As I understand they need a bit of heat to germinate. They got this inside in a plastic container. They all germinated quickly and I've put some in 3 inch pots in  my tiny green house but the majority I've put out already under cloches. It seemed like a good method but I'll have to report again if I get a good emergence of plants. Does anyone think this may not work?

mike

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2005, 18:00:20 »
Think I'm going to have regard sweetcorn as a bit of an experiment this year, and stay resigned to their inevitable lost :(     Mine all germinated very happily, sitting on a window sill, but then I read posts about the long roots, and sure enough, when checked they were all making a bid for freedom through the bottom of the pots.  So, root disturbance or not, they had to be repotted.  Guess that means that when it comes to planting out they're going to be very resentful, if they're not already - they're sitting sullenly back on the window sill at the moment, glowering at me!

Ah well - it was interesting to see what one looks like 'in the flesh'.

Ellkebe

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2005, 18:21:57 »
i think ellkebe,(bit of a newbie to most things altho i have grown corn before")that you could also get another packet(for a succesive  sowing)and do them in peat pots-or similar-for the roots to wiggle thru and so you can plant straight in the ground-this year i didnt even use heat to start mine off just a sunnny window sill-and altho they arent romping away they are creeping along ok! :D
kitty
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2005, 20:54:31 »
I might give that a go.  Thanks Kitty  :)

Ellkebe

Suffolklad

• Quarter Acre
    • thewoolnoughs
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2005, 20:57:53 »
ok....on to the next stage.................

Do I just plant them straight into the ground, loo roll and all ?
Or do I unravel it ?

My trusty book says that sweetcorn put out side "tiller" roots from the base of the stem, if I leave them in the tubes will these be hindered ?

Also, I moved them from my heated indoor propogator to a cold greenhouse (well bl**dy hot today actually !) - do I need to harden them off or can they go straight out ?

Thanks for your help
Mike
They call it the "Good Life" but it's a b****y HARD life!

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2005, 21:13:15 »
grew sweetcorn last year and did them in 3" peat pots.  As a lot of you have found they germinated really quickly and roots poked out the bottom .  I have to admit I just left them as they were.  Planted them when they were about 6-8 inches tall and they did brilliantly.  This years are looking great already - very sturdy little things.

I am going to try the 3 sisters thing this year but with French beans and courgettes.

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2005, 21:21:33 »
in the past i put them in the ground loo roll(and sometimes peat pots)an'all.....they can root right thru these things......remember to plant in blocks not in a line...mine are in an unheated greenhouse but at the moment with warm muggyish weather the doors are open all day...with ventilation at night...i think i'll plant out mid may all being well-i'm on my third successive sowing today...
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2005, 21:27:07 »
Doing mine in newspaper pots and hoping that the roots go right through.  If they don't, please tell me different before it is too late.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2005, 21:57:48 »
yes-it'll be fine-i've done some french beans in newspaper pots-their roots are thru!
kitty
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2005, 22:29:03 »
Last years went in loo rolls and all and were SUPERB!  Mind you, gotta thank you lot for all of the growing advice as I had failed every time before.  This year have 4 different varieties now on the go, 2 already through and big and strong, 1 just poking through, and 1 only sown at the end of last week.  I am thinking I need a 3rd allotment for all of this.  I am getting carried away!  HELP ME!  :-\ ;D ;)

suhayb

• Not So New ...
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2005, 00:17:54 »
hi all,
i grew F1 minipop next to F1 swift super sweet last year.
Alot of the swift cobs were FREAKY.  I don't know if cross pollenation was the problem or something else. They still tasted alright but some cobs had about 10 fully ripened seeds each surrounded by nothing??

xqbgal

• Not So New ...
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2005, 00:32:15 »
I have never tried growing sweetcorn is it easy compared to other stuff? potatoes,beans,peas etc?

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2005, 10:03:54 »
Hi X, I have always found it fairly easy, I plant mine through black weed suppressant membrane, into well manured soil and they seem to romp away with very little attention from me! ;D  (now those kind of veg we like!)  DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal