Author Topic: Slugs 'n' Snails  (Read 5069 times)

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
Slugs 'n' Snails
« on: April 17, 2005, 23:14:09 »
:) I have put wood chippings around half of my Lottie at the moment and was just wondering if it would deter Slugs'n'Snails from other Lotties, as I have heard that they don't like sharp objects. ???

Would wood chippings be a deterrent anybody know? ???

lilylover

• Quarter Acre
Re: Slugs 'n' Snails
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 23:29:49 »
Wood chippings unfortunately are not 'sharp' enough to deter them Roy. In fact they will probably love it going off past experience.
The only things I have found to deter them has been really small sharp grit or smashed seashells though I must admit I haven't tried dried oats or coffee granules yet.
Is it wrong to fancy Lucius Malfoy?

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 00:25:16 »
My lager has been untouched, so too have my slug traps.  Wonder where the little buggers are - they're bound to be there somewhere  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 16:40:05 »
My 'slug pub' had some dead slugs  ;D They seem to like old kronenberg   :) It was all a bit icky looking  :-X Funny how mashing them with my foot doesn't make me feel ill though  :P :P :P
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

emily

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 17:07:38 »
Do slugs have parties?  I ask because last year my front lawn and neighbours lawn was covered in the things it was about 10pm, you could hardly see the lawns for them. Twas like something from a horror movie. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeuk.
our little bit of eden

Shoyu

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 21:02:45 »
Apparently oat meal bran swells up inside them and makes then pop!

I bought a book called "50 ways to kill a slug".
It says serious and silly ways to kill or outwit the garden's number one enemy. I have to say I prefer the outwitting to killing - being a bit of an old softy. Mind you I haven't planted anything out yet, I may change my tune when they scoff my nice young veg.

I have made them a grapefruit play house and go out each night collecting them.

SEDUM

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 22:11:51 »
From experience I didn't find grit or eggshells any use.  Beer traps worked best, but crikey they smelt terrible.  You almost want to heave when you empty them out to get the beery corpses out. 

I was out tonight checking the greenhouse for the tiny slugs and snails that still manage to get inside and put an end to some of my seedlings.  Meanwhile out on my raised beds there are the tiniest of slugs all over the shop.  I'm in fear of losing my carrot seedlings that are just making their appearance. 

I used to use salt on slugs - and jolly satisfying it was too, if a little achy on the wrists: I only have a seasalt mill, y'see ::)

Art

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005, 18:42:55 »
Do you think a two-day open bottle of red wine will do the trick?
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005, 18:54:01 »
You could always bash them on the head with it  ;D
Get with the beat Baggy

supernan

• Half Acre
  • Chief mushroom compost digger, Bud
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2005, 18:59:54 »
I have just been clearing out a really stinky slimey galvanised tank. Full of the last house occupants, junk including some plastic and terracotta pots. But also home to some huge slugs and lots of slug eggs.

Goodbye to two generations in one hit. It was worth the stink just to get those little *!*'s.

Bud also helped (my dog) he excavated under the tank, bye bye mouse. Good afternoons work we thought.
Supernan!!

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2005, 20:16:00 »

:o Nah! it would be wasted :P just send it round to me I'll see it gets a good home :D Hic! ;D ;D ;D

Sprout

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2005, 15:02:53 »
i've ordered some plastic rings with a lip to prevent slugs/snails climbing over and getting to the plant. Anyone know how successful they are? ???
Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2005, 16:20:00 »
I use plastic rings made from water/pop bottles cut into 2" rings make sure a good half inch is into the soil mine work brilliant.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2005, 18:38:32 »
Anything with a lip needs to be at least 3" high, and then it's possible that some of the biggies will still make it. Use the full length of a pop bottle or 'warm' the top inch with a flame and bend it backwards.
Bran is an old well proven slug killer, snag is, they love it so much that it tends to attract them from quite a ways.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2005, 23:17:29 »
Nope, but it will make catching them much more fun if you imbibe before going hunting! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2005, 23:36:56 »
 :D Dotty P ??? Does "imbibe" mean take a slug ??? ;D Hic! hope so cause I just have ;D ;D

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2005, 16:34:23 »
Wahahahaha Roy!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2005, 22:35:27 »
I found a few slugs around my new asparagus bed this morning. The weather was damp and warm, so I thought I would sprinkle a tiny bit of salt on the soil-my goodness I upset about 8 slugs they came out of the ground and tried frantically to get away from the salt, but I put a bit more on their tails just for good luck.
Why do I feel so satisfied killing one of Gods creatures? ;D
Rosemary

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2005, 17:31:42 »
During my first wonder around the garden this morning i discovered that the slugs had stripped bare a whole container of larkspur that i had lovingly grown from seed  :'(  :'(  :'(

I had planted them in a wheelbarrow type display container which also stood on a gravel area so i decided i wouldnt have to use slug pellets.....how wrong was i ? >:(

Fortunately ive still got larkspur in other areas as i was very sucessful with the seeds, but thats not the point is it, when you have spent time nurturing your babies  :'(

SEDUM

• Not So New ...
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2005, 23:04:32 »
Oh help!  Had a stall at Redland Green Fair today.  Along with lots of fabulously planned and stocked stalls was a group of creepy-crawlies from Bristol Zoo.  One helper was holding two enormous African Snails.  We chatted to her for a while and then - I held one.  My poor broken heart :-[  What a beautiful creature.  I try to be an organic gardener and have found it so difficult to keep tender crops.  I won't use pesticides, including slug pellets.  I have invested in beer traps, thinking they will help and "hey, the snails and slugs will die in alcoholic heaven", but those African Snails were so charming.  I am having a crisis of conscience, but glad I'm organic!

Art

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal