Author Topic: ickle froglets  (Read 2943 times)

izzy

• Not So New ...
  • frog mad! ^_^
ickle froglets
« on: April 20, 2005, 16:43:50 »
my garden pond, is being built as we speak.  ;D

i've collected some tadpoles nearby and raised them in my shed, as soon as my pond is complete, i will free them!

but, im just worried, when they are tiny, baby froglets... will the pond be too deep for them?? because, i used to raise baby frogs when i was young, and i remember putting one in a bucket full of water and it just, sank. o_O

so, will they be able to swim ok in it? i know its their natural habitat and all that, but im just worried.  :P
i haven't lost my marbles, i didn't have any to begin with!

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re: ickle froglets
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 10:11:00 »
Do you have lots of plants in your pond? Do you have a gentle slope out of it?

If so - they'll be fine. I've seen adult toads in pairs in my pond sitting on pond plants (even oxygenators and watercress) without sinking.
gone to pot :D

izzy

• Not So New ...
  • frog mad! ^_^
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 14:02:23 »
im pretty sure we will have plants, and we will definatley have a slope out of it.  ;D

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 14:30:45 »
izzy they should be fine as long as there are plants in containers around the edge for them to get on to and a way for them to get out of the pond. this is very important.
when we had a pond we'd see the baby frogs sitting amongst the leaves of the plants.  the plants were in baskets on the pond shelf, so they were in shallow water.
are the tadpoles frogs or toads?  I'm not sure how you tell them apart but the spawn is easy, frog spawn in a clump whereas toads a string, like a necklace.

MM

izzy

• Not So New ...
  • frog mad! ^_^
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 17:53:09 »
im pretty sure they are frogs.  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal