Author Topic: My 'finished' pond  (Read 3947 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
My 'finished' pond
« on: April 16, 2005, 00:26:20 »
I have sore fingertips from handling each rock a dozen times, but the filter is now more or less hidden so I'm well pleased with the results of my labours over the past month or so. Thanks to everyone for giving me such good advice!
Tricia

http://client.webshots.com/album/322977841jVIGfA

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Re: My 'finished' pond
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2005, 06:38:19 »
That looks gorgeous Tricia.  Well worth all the hard work.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 18:13:30 »
Tricia it looks great! I was just today marvelling at the wlidlife around our pond, it is an absolute bonus to your garden!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2005, 18:39:59 »
Tremendous work there Tricia ! Looks great !  :D
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 14:48:48 »
Looks gorgeous!  :) :)
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

Anthony

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 15:55:39 »
Fantastic!!  I was going to post a picture of my latest incarnation this week but after having seen some of the pics on here recently I suspect I'll have to "sex" it up a bit before I do ;D

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 21:51:38 »
That pond looks fantastic how long did it take you and how many people worked on it.   A job really well done. :)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005, 14:32:08 »
I'm so chuffed others think I did a good job with my pond reconstruction. I thank you all for your kind words.

Rosebud, I started digging out the plants which surrounded the old pond on 6. March. The next day a friend helped me empty the pond water, as much of it as we could, into containers. I did most of the excavating myself over the following week and on the Sunday, with the help of said friend, the liners were put in place and  the new pond was filled with a mixture of pond and tap water.  I used a dechlorinator and introduced my fish to their new home on 16. March. The job of placing the rocks took longer, partly due to bad weather preventing me from getting on with it. My first pictures were posted here on 7. April, so I guess you could say it took about a month to get the pond looking reasonable. Hiding the filter was a major problem which I think has now been solved. Since posting these pictures I have planted a few more alpine plants here and there, though I'm not sure how successful they will be. Since I don't want the soil to be washed into the pond when it rains I have wrapped each plant in hessian. I'll have to wait and see how it works out.

Tricia

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 21:27:24 »
well done your pond looks wonderfull i am sure u will have many years pleasure from it

Yellow Petals

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2005, 21:39:27 »
Tricia, that's just superb, well done! So much hard work and dedication.  I wonder if you live anywhere near me....?  ;D :P

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2005, 21:44:14 »
Yellow petals thats just what i was going to say  ;D

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2005, 22:17:30 »
Nope! ;D I'm down in the sopping wet south-west. :( We had so much rain this afternoon I was afraid my pond would cover the entire patio area and the fish would be investigating an even larger new home! Seriously though, we expect April showers but this year April has been particularly wet here.
The plants are all doing very well and growing apace. Two of my waterlilies have leaves just about to break the surface. I have put two pots of kafir-lilies on the ledges; they seem quite happy. I'll be interested to see how they do in the water rather than in the flower bed. My bargains from B & Q - a blue pickerel hyacinth and an arrow head - are also growing well. Unfortunately, a slimy algae that looks like wafting hairs under the water is becoming a problem and will have to be tackled before it gets out of hand. I didn't have it in the old pond. Hey ho! the joys of being a ponder!

Tricia

Anthony

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2005, 09:31:33 »
Hi tricia,

I think the slimey algae to which you refer is our old adversary known as blanket weed.  I suspect at one time or another most of us on here have come accross the wretched stuff and if you do a search on it there will be plenty of good tips on how to get rid of it.

maz

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2005, 12:33:44 »
Its lovely tricia * applause*  ;D
A friend is someone who thinks you are a good egg,
even though you are slightly cracked.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal