Author Topic: Have to fill in pond :o(  (Read 2194 times)

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
Have to fill in pond :o(
« on: April 15, 2005, 18:54:33 »
Apologies if posting same message on two boards is frowned upon but I want as much feedback on this post as possible.

As people on this board will be aware, I have built a tiny pond on my lottie (a closed site with high security fence and barbed wired locked gates)  It was built for the benefit of British wildlife - I help them, they help me.  The council have asked me to fill it in in case a trespasser falls in and sues them.  I do intend to fence it off and cover it to prevent this happening.

Should I stand firm even though I am in breach of my tenancy agreement (I hadn't got a copy when I sunk it - I had sent it back to the council)

Does anybody know how I can get my tenancy agreement changed? (It seems bonkers in today's day and age that a wildlife pond is unwanted)

Should I start a campaign.

PS I know it is not relevant but I wish all the workers at MG-R the best of luck and I hope it is not too late to stop the names of Rover and MG dying. 

Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Clayhithe

• Acre
  • Easy does it
Re: Have to fill in pond :o(
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2005, 14:29:36 »
You could fill it with soil and turn it into a bog.
It'll attract much the same things.
Good gardening!

John

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2005, 14:48:52 »
I think the council make up their own rules, eg no caravans etc.  I don't believe the council think they'll get sued at all.  There's probably far more dangerous hazards on the plots than your pond, eg rubbish and broken glass that the council don't insist on having cleared up, asbestos sheds, and the spiked fencing used to keep vandals off the plots! 

I wouldn't fill it in.  You can always put a bit of board across it (not all of it) when you're not there.  Also sloping the sides upwards, eg with rocks, bricks or timber edging so you would have to climb up it to fall in (if you know what I mean)  The frogs will still be able to come and go but it means you can't fall in a hole.  You could meekly agree, fill it in and no-one will ever come and check, so I'd leave it a bit and see if any notices  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

undercarriage plan

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2005, 22:16:06 »
Well, honestly!  If it was me, I wouldn't fill it in.  Agree with Wardy. How on earth did they know you had a pond?  ??? I'd plead ignorance/ non receipt of letter, if they still carry on being pains, make a lake and chain yourself to No 10!! Other alternative, get hold of rare species, then can't fill it in.  Borrow a great crested newt or lama or something!  :o :o :o Lottie

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2005, 19:24:10 »
Read your tenancy agreement very carefully.  You will probably find that they cannot object to a pond provided it has covering (mesh) or is fenced.  Ask the council for a copy of their insurance policy for lottie sites, as a tenant, you have a right to know what is covered and what is not and, then, you will know how much responsibilty you have. :D
Muddy Boots

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal