Author Topic: guinea pig compost  (Read 1515 times)

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
guinea pig compost
« on: May 11, 2005, 23:41:00 »
i have 2 cavvies, i also have veggies growing, does anyone know, should i put my guinea pig toilet stuff down as mulch. its shredded paper and i should think quite wind bearing. or if anyone knows where it should go to do my veggies some good, my compost is rather full now

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
Re: guinea pig compost
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 23:48:03 »
I used to be a bit reluctant to use my bedding raw because it contained a lot of seeds from their food.  Where it got on the lawn, I got all sorts of grasses and sometimes things like sunflowers.  Unfortunately though, I had to use my guinea pigs for compost earlier this year - they got some sort of virus which they both never got over  :(.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 23:49:41 by redclanger »
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 00:04:10 »
RC. i want to cry, you no longer have your little babies. Oh please dont tell me this!!! my babies were born aroung feb 14th (t least thats the date i've given them according to pet shop) poor little babies. oh, i hate to know that our babies have goe to heaven. mine are gonna live for ever, and ever and ever :)

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 08:49:01 »
Our 2 guineas,Chocolate & Cinnamon, add to my compost heap!(But not in Redclangers way yet!) Not too sure that I would put it down as a mulch, though thinking about it why not cos they are veggies after all!  They are also our resident lawn mowers, and do an admirable job keeping my tiny lawn at bay! ;D (They fertilize as they go too!) 
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Lizard Man

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2005, 09:08:15 »
And what about used cat litter (the wood based variety)? I throw out bags of the stuff each day. I have often wondered if this is any use on the lottie as mulch (only that used for number ones!)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal