Author Topic: Disability Discrimination Act.  (Read 23076 times)

ken (69)

• Acre
Re: Disability Discrimination Act.
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2005, 08:21:46 »
Our local horticultural centre for the disabled had to close after six years because of all the accidents, the final straw being when one of the disabled got hold of a sprayer.Pottering about makes sense, but the sheer hard graft of doing an allotment for a disabled person, doesn't make sense to me.It's going to make matters worse, n ot better. And...and...there is room in the caring industry for someone to do the nuts and bolts of the job, like driving the bus, getting peeps on and off, clearing up all the mess afterwards, and finishing off the hard bits.Glad to do it.Pleased to be able to contribute to a better society.Just don't ask me to finish off any more allotments for people who shouldn't be there in the first place.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2005, 18:30:45 »
Gawd Ken, I really hope you're not a believer in karma, or you could be in alot of bother next time round........Lottie

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2005, 22:02:18 »
Seconded

Thirded

Etc etc etc >:(

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2005, 23:31:05 »
Whether Ken's remarks are "sincere" or not - I feel sure he is certainly enjoying all the attention and upset he is once again causing. I crossed swords with him way back on this thread and certainly don't feel it is worth my time "talking" to him on this subject again. Sad man that he must be ...........
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

daveandtara

• Acre
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2005, 23:53:16 »
finish off an allotment? Ken, i wouldn't ask you if i had no limbs, no friends and no pride.

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2005, 08:25:35 »
Well I do think some of your remarks are out of order. I have the respect of my boss and staff in this caring group , and often asked to play the 'hard' man to get the peeps moving. And we do have de-briefing sessions where health and safety is discussed, so just can't believe some of your feelings.Anyway I'll let you have the last word. I'm always kalm. :-))

jaggythistle

• Acre
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2005, 15:05:32 »

I have one last word and it describes you to a T

"ARSEHOLE"

suzylou

• Half Acre
« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2005, 13:50:13 »
Having finally read through this thread, there's one more aspect that I would like to add.

My dad is 73, and this month "celebrated" his 50th anniversary as a quadraplegic.  To give you an idea of his disability, he severed his spinal cord a single vertebra lower than Christopher Reeve.

He can breathe, talk, move his head, and shrug his shoulders.  That is all.  No walking, no use of his hands, no independence, nothing.  (Yes, I am adopted, well spotted).

But you know what?  This guy is my dad.  For 29 years he has raised me, taught me, played with me when I was a kid, shared my triumphs and tragedies.  It has always been a huge regret for both of us that he could never come to my school, see me in plays, be at parent's evening, because of access.  He couldn't come to either of my graduations.  He will never see my flat, because 250 miles is an impossible distance for him to travel.  He won't meet my cat, or see the places I describe to him.

Of course he couldn't manage an allotment.  But he sure as hell would want to come and sit on mine, and encourage me as I worked, and enjoy watching things go, make suggestions, and BE INVOLVED, if I lived closer.

The DDA isn't just about making things accessible in terms of physical involvement.  It's also about access to the lives of people close to them. 

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #68 on: August 24, 2005, 15:24:16 »
Of course; it's about perfectly basic things like a job I'm working on at the moment; disabled access to my church shop. We've always had disabled access elsewhere in the building, I'm now getting a ramp put in with a door big enough for a wheelchair. I don't see why something like that should be in any way controversial, except that some people are prejudiced. Same goes for disabled access to allotments.

Granny_Smith

• Half Acre
  • Of course its me - who else could look like this ?
« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2005, 13:23:13 »
Have just seen that this thread has re-activated again and I have great understanding for all parties that are being deeply affected by the rights and wrongs of the less able people in our world.
It's not for me to say who/what is or isn't right.

Just one comment from myself:-

Merv, if your "up there" looking down on us, I bet that you're having a bit of a chuckle that you left a real mark in this world when you went.
R.I.P mate, it seems that you will not be forgotten yet.

Granny is still your best friend !

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2005, 14:24:45 »
Quite right Granny Smith.  I often think about Merv when I click on to this portion and see his name.  I think he will be looking down on us with a smile on his face, enjoying what he started.  God bless  you Merv.  busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2005, 10:37:25 »
I've read this through again I can kind of see where Ken is coming from.  Before I get roasted though, the bit I mean is that councils get a certain amount of cash devoted to providing for the disabled .  That cash will probably go on things that the council believe are important and not necessarily what disabled persons would actually desire.  Had the council asked them they would probably get a better idea of where to fund rather than going for these schemes that earn brownie points for them, never get used,and close after a few years.  Leaving narrow minded peopled with the idea that the disabled are a waste of time and effort.  Stick with me here I am honestly not trying to offend anyone but I am not the brightest at getting my point across.
Ken - for the record.  I am registered disabed too.  I don't fit the widened doors and ramps criteria.  I have chronic epilepsy which is controlled (at the mo) by drugs.  I am sorry if you feel that free drugs are a privilege, in my case they are a necessity if I want to live.  I work full time.  I can not drive (have to wait to get my licence back re drug levels) so I get a free bus pass.  Sorry again.  I run a thriving cub pack which I see as a service to the local community.  I also love my allotment.  I would never ask for anyone's help other than family if i couldn't cope i.e rotorvating, but frequently give help to my lotty neighbour who is 96 and partially blind.  He has been lottying for 30 years on the same plot.  Are you suggesting that he should be chucked off because his sight demands level paths ?  I do hope not.  rant over
Get with the beat Baggy

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2005, 00:12:55 »
Very well put, Baggy - and never fear, your point came across like Blackpool illuminations!
I agree entirely that the 'Brownie point' attitude is to the fore when it comes to Council schemes for the disabled - I have a perfect example of this right outside my front door.

However, reading through this thread, what is even worse - and truly disturbing - is the apparent lack of vetting by the authorities of those who work with the disabled, whether paid or voluntary, which has allowed Ken to come into contact with vulnerable people.

Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

adamreith

• Not So New ...
« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2005, 23:44:04 »
To Linda Newby

Councils can devolve administration on to Associations, but they cannot devolve their responsibility in law to provide allotments and comply with various legal minimums.  If they have truly given you the land so completely that they have no liability under the access Acts, then I suggest you sell it and apply to the Council for Allotments under the 1908 Act. That should stir them up.

Linda

• Not So New ...
« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2005, 14:47:31 »
Hi Adam

Unfortunatley we don't own the land. The Council owns it, and we rent it from them, but according to the terms of our lease, we are responsible for all current and future costs. So we are responsible for all our boundary fencing (which we had to build), our leaking water supply (which we put in), our subsiding track (which we put in), and getting rid of the asbestos sheets that have accumulated on the site over the years. Whilst we haven't actually asked the council if we are responsible for disability access, based on their past and current performance, I can't imagine they'll suddenly become good landlords, can you? :'(

Love and compost
Linda

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2005, 16:10:25 »
You need to consult with the experts and find out exactly what the Council's liabilities are. Even if you have got a management agreememt, they're still the landlords, and will have responsibilities towards you, which can be enforced if necessary.

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2005, 19:34:44 »
what about a site where the natural ground is that steep, its hard work walking up the main drive, nvr mind anything else??!!??

Chocolate

• Half Acre
« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2006, 17:07:56 »
I have just found this thread. I'm so shocked by what some people have said on these pages. Can't imagine how anyone has the    balls   in this day and age to say such things about any body never mind the disabled who are at last being accepted in society.
I'm classed as disabled some times crutches or perhaps wheelchair. I have asked for nothing from my allotment society, I could never get into the loo's, so go home if needed, I'm having the access to my plot and the plot it self made suitable for my needs. I want nothing from any body with those peoples attitudes.
Who don't even think that for the last forty years I have paid taxes like every one else and to just ask for some of the things in the Disability Discrimination Act to be brought into our society would be such a great help for us.
Still feeling so shocked that people feel this way   just hope thats the response they get when they become disabled    as they surely will be.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 19:27:55 by Chocolate »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2006, 17:54:49 »
They're already disabled, in the empathy department.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2006, 18:28:38 »
Chocolate, Just ignore what must be a miniscule amount of people with these very limited view points.  The vast majority of people know how much benefit is got from gardening and thankfully things are becoming much better for people who have a disability.  You continue to enjoy your quest to grow veggies and take no notice of those very few who  are always trying to sour things.  :-* busy_lizzie 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 20:07:45 by busy_lizzie »
live your days not count your years

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal