Author Topic: water retention  (Read 9466 times)

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
Re: water retention
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2005, 17:28:38 »
Yes MM I have heard of one case but that was a greyhound and obviously they are trained to run after the chase. It was an ex track dog.It is sad when that happens its always someones pet. I was thinking of normal silly mutts like mine...no she's not silly she's just an old softy, she won't even chase the birds unless they are moving first. but does go mad at the squirrel.A cat stuck its head in the car door window...it was in the arm of a friend , she just looked out the other window as if to say I can't see you.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2005, 18:31:48 »
Ah bless her Val.  We've also got a silly mutt but he will see off cats if they're in his and Merlin's garden but if they stopped, turned and faced him he wouldn't do anything, infact he probably would run in doors very quickly.  ;D   
But I know a doctor who had 2 of her cats killed by a neighbours lurcher and my OH, when he was in his teens, their family cat was killed by a Labrador cross.  But I still believe that more often than not it's done to the owners.
MM

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2005, 09:14:56 »
My lab/collie cross learned very quickly to be afraid, very afraid of my two cats - while they were wary of the dog when we first got her (rescued two years ago) they soon learned that one hiss or a peek of a claw and the dog would stay well clear.  Now, the cats will saunter past the dog and pinch the water out of her bowl and she just stands there looking both bewildered and resigned!

I think with most dogs, if the cat runs the dog chases, if the cat stays still the dog will be wary.

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2005, 15:50:18 »
Well I've bought the cat litter. Wood based Tesco's own premium. Will that one do? Its probably a lot more expensive than yours but certainly cheaper than the retaining gel if it works. Does it release the water if the soil is a bit dry?...I'm hoping so if not...err does anyone want any cat litter? ;D

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2005, 16:37:50 »
that'll be fine val-i see that morrisons do a  small bag for 1.69..it doesn't so much 'release ' the water as hold it there-put a drop of water on a pellet and see what happens-then you'll see how it'll work in your compost!
best of luck with i!
kitty ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2005, 16:42:58 »
Oh yes I'm with you, so it keeps the compost dampish. I haven't opened it yet I've yet to do the hanging baskets, but will get around to it hopefully this week.

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2005, 16:59:43 »
yes-basically-if you use the wood stuff for its intended ahem!...use..in the tray-then when its ..erm...'wet' it dissolves into sawdust-but in the confines of compost in pots it should reatain most of its shape and be a sawdust shaped 'blob' full of moisture-of course-this cant be verified cos if you dig around in there you disturb it all so you dont know what shape it was!
anyway-it really works!and thats the main thing!
kitty :D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2005, 10:32:32 »
I'm all for trying...our summers are so dry I'll try anything to retain moisture.Sometimes 3 times a day isn't enough for the hanging baskets and the water butts quickly run dry. Just one thing I wonder if it can be used in the veggie pots. I think I'll have to have a read and see if it contains chemicals.Although I'm sure it said a natural product.

MM I've posted a pic on the pic gallery of our fierce beast ... ;D...about to run from a blackbird. Its not very clear...a photographer I ain't ;)

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2005, 18:22:27 »
val-all the ones i've seen or used are organic-i dont think we want chemicals near our furry darlins bottys! ;D
but do check!
no reason to not use it in the veg patch...buy it in bulk tho! ;)
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2005, 18:28:12 »
Well I don't have a veg patch no room but I do have loads of pots and grow the veg in there. So I'll check it out and see if I can use it in the pots. Thanks Kitty. I'll keep you posted on results. ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal