Author Topic: morning glory  (Read 2263 times)

gingerninja38

• Quarter Acre
morning glory
« on: March 30, 2005, 23:04:13 »
i grew some from seed about a month ago. they are now about 6 inches tall, when is the best time to plant them out?

also planted 4 cotton plant seeds these are now 12 inches tall any one know when to plant these?

i am just starting to garden and all this is new to me (just bought my first house!!)

p.s. have clay soil don't know if this matters
thanks

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Re: morning glory
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 23:28:56 »
Re: the morning glories, by which i presume you mean the climber ipomoea (sp?). They are tender so dont plant out until danger of frost is past. Treat as any tother tender plant and harden off gradualy until then.

Cant help with the other plants i am afraid.

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 16:53:39 »
morning glories are complete wimps - they need pampering and fussing over, constant temperatures - a drop in warmth at night and they go chlorotic, just keep them in till June. They seem to need a long growing season to get going.  Also, pinch out the tops as they get bushier as they can be real stragglers. Fabulous though.
cheers, suzy

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 22:38:39 »
Thank you for that advice.  Mine are just poking through their modules.  I grow them most years, in pots, up a wigwam type thingy, on the deck, but never pinch the tops out, and yup, they do grow straggly.  This year I will treat them mean!  ;D

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 00:05:34 »
A few years ago I planted some Ipomoea seeds direct outside (in April, as I recall) with no other treatment - just bunged them in and let them get on with it. They practically flew up, and have self-seeded every year since. Sometimes I've found that, with plants which are supposed to be delicate, the more care and attention they get, the more they want - so in my book the less they get, the better! Anyone else found this?
... or am I just a cruel, insensitive old...
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 00:29:11 »
I quite agree, some of the so called difficult plants are a doddle so long as you don't mollycoddle them, some of the hard things grow despite what you do, not because of it

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005, 11:17:14 »
I didnt purposely grow any morning glories last year - but i still got some. The previous years plants had seeded into a pot with a clematis in it (so there was a support for it). The seed grew and smothered the poor clemmie!

Dont know if i'll get the same this year - probably not so i'll try and grow a few purposely this time.  ;D

supernan

• Half Acre
  • Chief mushroom compost digger, Bud
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2005, 23:00:37 »
I love these flowers to bits. Get up early to see thier beautiful faces smiling at the newly risen sun.

My best tips for very good plants and high germination. Soak seed overnight in a little tepid water, don't drown them just enough to soften the outer casing. Plant three/four seeds per 3in pot. My kitchen window sill south facing and with a radiator germinates these in four to five days. Once sprouted move to greenhouse. When they start to grow a cane of some sort is advisable. Take care not to disturb the root. Pot on into a larger pot if required. A cold greenhouse is adequate once the plant is established, but a little heat will see you with the best display.

Harden off keep away from frost this will damage the leaf, holding back the plant a bit. 

I too have had surprise seedlings. Some colours seem hardier than others! If you grow several colours you could get a brand new variety from your seeds. So have fun and enjoy your Morning Glory.
Supernan!!

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2005, 17:47:04 »
Well here is the post Marianne but Campanula doesn't say when to pinch. ;D
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2005, 20:21:35 »
Hiya Val  ;D

Which post is that ??? ???

Take care !
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal