Author Topic: Window boxes: suggestions please  (Read 2370 times)

terrace max

• Hectare
Window boxes: suggestions please
« on: April 11, 2005, 20:03:19 »
Four window boxes have just appeared on the outside of our house. They're 4' wide x 1' deep. The site is shaded until about midday but gets sun thereafter (if there ever is any).

I know nothing about flowers but would like to rustle some up pdq - at the moment the boxes look like something a horse would eat out of...

I like kind of simple shapes - nothing too frilly. Can you suggest anything suitable? I think I'll have to get plants from a garden centre rather than grow them from seed this year.

Many thanks.
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

wardy

• Hectare
Re: Window boxes: suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 23:40:45 »
Herbs  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 08:45:30 »
I'm under orders here: "FLOWERS!!"

(If I'm caught eating anything out of the window boxes I'll be in big trouble...!!)
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

Nigella

• Quarter Acre
  • Plant it, eat it!
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 14:09:58 »
Last year I planted French Marigolds in terracotta window boxes (the yellow-orange-red types) - something like Queen Sophia I think they where called. Each planter was about a foot long and I had about 5 plants in each - very simple, but effective. They did very well - and like you only had sun in the afternoon. Bees like them to.  :D

Depends if you want a busy box or a slightly empty one ! Other wise pick a couple of colours that you like and stick to them to get a bold effect.

Have fun  ;)

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 15:41:27 »
You can get dwarf, trailing sweet peas which might look nice :) I found petunias great for trailing off the edge of a balcony too.

Shame you're not allowed some tumbling toms too :)

Depending on how big the window boxes are, you could have something with more upright growth at the back, and the trailing stuff around the edges.
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

Nigella

• Quarter Acre
  • Plant it, eat it!
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 17:03:50 »
Yes Sweet Peas would be lovely.

You should be ok with most bedding plants - as you will get enough sun for sun lovers even from 12 onwards.

There is always lobelia - can't beat that if you want a trailer - with something taller at the back to give the box structure.

Nicotiana are good too as you can have pinks / white / reds mixed together (they also cope with some shade).

I have also used Rudbeckia Spotlight (dwarf) in containers - flowers until September / October - they can cope with a bit of shade as well.

Tell us what you choose. 
 ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 23:14:15 »
I grow bright red geraniums from seed every year and put them in window boxes on my kitchen and dining room windows, plus in tubs etc.  They are easy to grow and tolerate dry weather and you forgetting to water them.  I have a very windy site and when everything else is shrivelled up and gasping they are fine and also last longer than other plants  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005, 14:17:17 »
Dwarf nasturtiums...

many have a bush-type habit.  "Empress of India" are particularly attractive - greeny-blue leaves and deep red flowers (no oranges or yellow).  They grow to about 6-9".  50 p for a packet of seed from Poundstretcher.  ;)
Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2005, 07:10:49 »
I always grow trailing geraniums at the front of the house which is south facing and gets very hot.  They do very well, cope with neglectful watering and go on and on till the first heavy frosts if you keep dead-heading. As they grow down and out they don't block light at the window but still give some colour from inside.

On the north wall, I just do hanging baskets.  I've tried all sorts, fuchsias, verbenas, lobelias etc but this year it's going to be clematis.  The plants are on order for collection this Friday.  Now all I have to do is find a suitabley deep container to hang.
Obxx - Vendée France

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2005, 11:56:38 »
Thank you very much for all those ideas.

If you hear a strange noise for the next few days: it's probably my brain pondering all these options!
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

Gadfium

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2005, 12:16:23 »
Ever since my first visit to Austria, I've had a penchant for balcon geraniums. They hang  beautifully, you can now get them in varying colours/shades, they're not particularly fussy, and you can pop something else in with them to cover the stems as they snake over the side of the windowbox e.g. lobelia, small marigolds... anything compact, really.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal