Author Topic: Heldi's allotment  (Read 28745 times)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
Re: Heldi's allotment
« Reply #140 on: April 01, 2007, 08:20:25 »
Thanks Saddad.  Ive just had a look back through the pictures. It's funny the plot looks awful to start with,then looks a bit better,then looks bad again...all the time the rubbish was being moved but it doesn't look like anything was happening because of how high the grass and other weeds grew. Unfortunately after I cleared so much of the ground I had a load of bindweed seedlings coming through last summer. Grrrr. They are dealt with quick smart.  Nettles have also gone balistic over the cleared ground. That doesn't bother me much as they can be useful but it did become a bit overwhelming at one stage. I've kept a clump at the top of the garden but the rest have to go.

Wardy, I miss Wardy loads. She can be found on another website...allotmentsnstuff.  There are a few peeps who you'll find on that website and might recognise. Some still pop in a4a now and again  :) The other missing peeps...I don't know where they have gone  :( 

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #141 on: April 01, 2007, 12:28:04 »
Hi Heldi - That's an amazing transformation you've achieved there .  I hope you are feeling proud as well as pleased with yourself.   One thing about ducks - they are amazingly messy pooy creatures so maybe not so good as their pond will always be a mess and maybe a child magnet too.

Looking forward to more photos as the season progresses.
Obxx - Vendée France

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #142 on: April 02, 2007, 10:55:51 »
Thanks Obby.

I'm not satisfied enough yet to feel proud.  I'm pleased but if I can get a good growing season this year,using the whole of the plot, I think I might feel a little bit proud.

I haven't had the courgette glut yet..that everyone on a4a mentions. I feel it's a right of passage and until I get mine... ;D

I'd still like a couple of ducks but I've got my hands full with the hens. Didn't expect to have as many.  So maybe in the distant future I will have the little white duck of my dreams!

There are a few people who have ducks on their allotments around here and you are so right...messy little critters! I still love 'em though !

markyb23

• Half Acre
  • Bloke from Stoke
« Reply #143 on: April 03, 2007, 10:55:40 »
Hi Heldi,
              just stumbled across the thread. Nice one, you've done a fantastic job. At least now, when you look over the plot, you can have a little smile to yourself, knowing that there's a big part of you in there.
             All The Best-Marky. B. :)

Scatty1

« Reply #144 on: April 06, 2007, 02:05:17 »
As a newbie to this allotment thing, I must say you have given me hope. My site was very overgrown when I got it a couple of months ago and all I seem to have done is dig and dig. I have at last cleared half so I think it is time to sow and plant this week.
Thanks for the inspiration :D

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #145 on: April 06, 2007, 19:25:35 »
Thanks Marky  ;D 

I'm pleased you got inspiration from those pictures scatty.  Just keep on keeping on and view it as a long term thing. Don't give yourself a hard time if sometimes you only do a little...it all counts  ;D  Give yourself a pat on the back everytime and never get yourself thinking you should have done more on any particular day...that is what gets you down because you make yourself feel like you've failed. I'm still chipping away at the last bit of digging. I find it a bit tedious aswell as back breaking so I just do a bit at a time then wander off to do something else...sitting on the bench is a favourite pastime  :D

Wack something in the ground as soon as you can. I did without bothering to manure or anything and I got great results...unfortunately my camera broke on me last year so I haven't got many pictures  ::)  :D

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #146 on: April 08, 2007, 21:36:34 »
Hey Heldi, you poor thing. Looking at the pics you've made excellent progress, even without the accursed babysitter! Can't believe you got such a cheeky letter! If i wasn't at the absolute opposite end of the country to you i'd be offering my clearing services. I thought our plot was bad but yours makes it look like Alan Titchs back garden! Lots of luck, Em x  8)
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #147 on: April 09, 2007, 08:46:43 »
Heldi - would love to see some photos during this growing season as all your hard work pays off.  Well done you - inspirational  ;D (not that I intend to actually work anywhere near that hard myself, but I appreciate effort in others  ;D ;D)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #148 on: May 02, 2007, 12:47:34 »
Thanking you kindly emmy and ellkebe.  ;D  ;D

Okay I've got photos.  From March 07 through to about a fornight ago. Sorry have forgotten to take my camera up since then.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 12:49:20 by Heldi »

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #149 on: May 02, 2007, 12:50:57 »
some more March pics.

You can see what I have to put up with with those feathered marauders. Caught them in the act. Look at the state of those caulis anorl lol!

Who is the bag lady in the pink wellies I wonder ??!! 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 12:54:17 by Heldi »

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #150 on: May 02, 2007, 12:59:57 »
I decided to keep four of the cauliflowers that the hens had pecked.  They grew! I ate one last Sunday...was lush !

The carpet finally came off at the end of March,was bagged up and taken to the tip. Hurrah!

Released the feathered kind to do their "thang" on the bit where the carpet had been...they ate the bugs left the weeds and wandered off to find some cabbage or something.   ::)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #151 on: May 02, 2007, 13:43:14 »
Early April. I was still pulling weeds and picking out glass from that stretch where the carpet had been. I was taking my time OKAY !!

The OH,with help from my son,started to build. Spring in the air or something..nest building and all that?  I dunno, but it's the funniest looking nest I ever saw.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #152 on: May 02, 2007, 14:00:49 »
They built...TA DAH ! ! A polytunnel!  8)  8)

"Whoop de doo and dickery dock and don't forget to hang up your sock!"

Ahem. Sorry I always sing that when I'm happy. It's from the Andy Williams Christmas Album  :-[  :-[

Sorry having probs with pics will post them in a bit.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 14:08:36 by Heldi »

emmy1978

• Hectare
« Reply #153 on: May 02, 2007, 20:28:42 »
Whoo! Heldi! been waiting for update girl. That is looking fabulous. i can't believe how much you've done. Fantastic. I looove your chooks. I really want some but no livestock on our plot so have to wait till i buy house then i can make the neighbours love me by getting chooks and a goat and ooh, maybe some ducks and erm bees...
Your lottie looks fab. The playhouse made me smile too. My girls loved theirs bless 'em.  8) :)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #154 on: May 02, 2007, 22:23:31 »
Thanks emmy  ;D

Am going to see if I can post the rest of the pictures now.

Those chooks got out of their pen the other day and have devastated my flowerbed,pulled up some onions and bathed in my raised beds causing beetroot loss  >:(   ::) . I still think they are brill though. Just as well cos OH has bid on some hatching eggs on ebay ...and won. eeek!

Polytunnel even comes with it's own stool! 8)  :D
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 22:25:22 by Heldi »

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #155 on: May 02, 2007, 22:44:05 »
Last set of pics for today.

As I was busy with the weeding and glass picking and OH busy with the polytunnel you can see the weeds have been sneaking up behind us.  It's constantly like this because the plot is riddled with horsetail , couch grass and millions of nettle and bindweed seedlings. Ground elder is trying to make it's presence felt. I've dug some out but other bits...like the bit coming out from under the water butt I keep slicing off. That'll do for me!  Just gotta keep hoeing really. Good job I'm not into being too neat and tidy.

When I finally finished that stretch I was lower than the path. I lost my balance fell backwards, cracked my hip on the paving and my head off that bench! Finished in style eh?!  I wasn't particularly hurt,my son asked "Are you alright Mum?", though could barely contain his laughter (his mother's son alright  ;D). OH very nearly broke into a fast walk to come and see what had happened because I screamed when I went down. I can't believe I screamed...I'm so ashamed lol

emmy1978

• Hectare
« Reply #156 on: May 03, 2007, 21:31:17 »
love the polytunnel. We were about to embark on making one when saga struck, won't be doing it on new plot till winter as so much else to do. Like get some soil on it! Only goes down about 5 inches!!
Anyway - OH would like to know how you attached the polythene to the frame? Bless him, been having sleepless nights...NOT.
I put my foot in a hole at old lottie, twisted it so badly it cracked, I screamed when i went down too. Oh the shame!

iain

• Half Acre
« Reply #157 on: May 06, 2007, 03:28:24 »
I think you made a really excellent job of your lottie Heldi, I bet you feel so pleased with yourself, after all the problems to start with.
I just hope I can get mine looking something like yours. do you have water on tap or do u use waterbutts

Well done

Iain

Belinda

• Half Acre
  • Still learning
« Reply #158 on: May 23, 2007, 16:55:05 »
How have I missed this thread for so long!!

I think the transformation is amazing, well done to you all for keeping on keeping going. Any chance of some pics of the outside of the polytunnel and an idiot's guide on how it was built it looks brillliant.

Noli nothis permittere te terere - Don't let the b****rds get you down.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #159 on: May 31, 2007, 17:17:24 »
Thank you kindly. If you could see the weeds now yo'd not be thinking it was so great   ;D  Boy do they take off when the rain comes. Ah well. Good job I'm not into perfectly pristine gardens then isn't it.

The plastic sheeting was draped over the whole thing and wrapped around a long straight latt. Then it was held in place with another latt.  Used the wrapping of the first lat to tighten the plastic. Needs two people really. OH is not happy with the way he has folded the corners . Not a nurse in the making that's for sure.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 17:19:13 by Heldi »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal