Author Topic: What do you use ?  (Read 2657 times)

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
What do you use ?
« on: April 09, 2005, 19:24:45 »
What doyou use to keep peas off the ground ?

I am trying to think of a different way to keep peas off the ground other than using twigs due to the fact the twigs need replacing after a couple of years if not yearly. I kept getting stabbed with them when I picked the peas as well.

I have thought of using a stake at the end of the rows and some inbetween as required, with string from post to post at different levels and bring the string back along row the other side of the post to help support the peas as they grow.

Any ideas or comments please ?

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
Re: What do you use ?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2005, 19:33:13 »
hi I use stakes which I have screws up them at 4" intervals I put one in the ground every 4feet and then use bail twine to hold the peas up.

:)
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2005, 19:43:43 »
I use a length of chicken wire netting bent into a cloche shape to keep out the birds until the plants get to about 7 or 8 inches, then I flatten out the chicken wire and thread some canes through it at 4 foot intervals and shove them into the ground to form the support, if the peas grow higher you can always add longer canes with another length of chicken wire above.

Hope you can understand my waffle

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2005, 20:04:29 »
I use stakes made from roofing lathes (from the builders merchants), canes and twine made into a criss-cross pattern.  :)

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2005, 20:45:18 »
Upright chicken wire in straight rows tied to supports.

To keep the thieving pidgeons away, 'spin' black cotton around thin stakes at 3' intervals in two rows @ 3 & 6-8" heights all around the rows.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2005, 20:58:05 »
If I ever get any peas to germinate I am going to use pea netting supported by cains.  Will this not work?
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2005, 23:24:18 »
I used twine tied round canes for 6 foot high (heavy-laden) Alderman peas - worked fine; didn't look straight, but it kept the plants up for the season.

Pea netting?  Do you mean the plastic stuff?

Dunno what others'll say, but I found it a right pain.  It works to keep the peas up.

But at the end of the season, separating pea plant into compost heap - from netting I want to reuse is virtually impossible.  (And it's a b....y nuisance if it gets in the compost heap).

Chicken wire'd be fine - it's tough enough to pull the peas off without the net breaking/tearing?

All best - Gavin

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2005, 10:57:31 »
Some good ideas here as I have run out of twiggy stuff. Plastic netting as a complete no no for me.It is a danger to wildlife.

stephan

quinny

• Quarter Acre
    • http://sitebuilder.wanadoo.co.uk/servlets/creat_frame?mode=modifsite&site=allaboutquinn
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2005, 11:10:39 »
I've got a couple of 6ft 3" x 3" posts.  They're sunk into a little contained  rubble and attached to the side of my raised beds.  Up the side of the posts I have nailed in some of those horse shoe type nails (not all the way in).  It means I can replace the wire/twine each year.  Only used it for the first time last year but it worked a treat.

Might be a little more hassle but for me it was worth it.  Beans are going in this year... ;D

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2005, 11:38:14 »
Some good ideas here as I have run out of twiggy stuff. Plastic netting as a complete no no for me.It is a danger to wildlife.

stephan

Noted - I shall take due precautions or not bother using it.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2005, 11:45:02 »
Lady of the Land - thanks for asking that question i've been dithering about what to use myself. Last year I used the council workers plastic fencing (has quite  a few uses if some happens to blow onto your lotie! ;D)  with canes at intervals to hold it up but it still didn't seem strong enough as it kept sagging. i think i'll try chicken wire this year.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2005, 15:22:42 »
Used twigs last year which worked fine, but scratched me as I picked, but the whole lot went onto the compost heap which made an easy clearing job of it!  This year I have chicken wire between 2 posts - 2 rows like this, then for the huge alderman I have 7 foot posts sunk in the ground and netting between them.  I know it will be a pain come clearing time, but it was all I had available and as these peas were right down the far end of my plot, they all germinated as my lazy mice only seem to go for things down the shed end!  >:(

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2005, 20:13:34 »
Thank you all for the replies, its always very interesting to hear how people approach and deal with looking after crops.

chrispea27

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2005, 07:04:21 »
I think the method with canes or sticks is good and easy to construct. ::)
Chris Pea

RichardS

• Quarter Acre
  • In the wilderness of rural Twickenham....
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2005, 11:30:08 »
I use that thick plastic netting/fencing - the stuff with about 2" square holes - supported at regulr intervals with canes woven through the holes.

it's not too bad for separating the entwined plants at the end of the season as it's strong enough to be able to yank the plants out of it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal